Are you inspired by invention? Is problem solving through teamwork in your DNA? Do you like the idea of seeing how your work impacts the bigger picture? Answer yes to any of these and you’ll fit right in here at Amazon Robotics. We are a smart team of doers that work passionately to apply cutting edge advances in robotics and software to solve real-world challenges that will transform our customers’ experiences in ways we can’t even imagine yet. We invent new improvements every day. We are Amazon Robotics and we will give you the tools and support you need to invent with us in ways that are rewarding, fulfilling and fun.
Amazon Robotics, a wholly owned subsidiary of Amazon.com, empowers a smarter, faster, more consistent customer experience through automation. Amazon Robotics automates fulfillment center operations using various methods of robotic technology including autonomous mobile robots, sophisticated control software, language perception, power management, computer vision, depth sensing, machine learning, object recognition, and semantic understanding of commands. Amazon Robotics has a dedicated focus on research and development to continuously explore new opportunities to extend its product lines into new areas.
Amazon Robotics is seeking a talented and motivated Mechanical Engineering student to join our Hardware Reliability Engineering team for a Co-op assignment. The candidate will have the opportunity work with senior engineering staff on existing and new and existing tools, mechanisms, modules and systems. The ideal candidate has strong mechanical aptitude, enjoys problem solving and can potentially handle multiple parallel tasks. This position reports to the Manager of Hardware Reliability Engineering.
This role is a 6 month co-op to join AR full time (40 hours/week) from July to December 2021. Amazon Robotics co-op opportunities will be based in the Greater Boston Area, in our two state-of-the-art facilities in Westborough and North Reading, MA. Both campuses provide a unique opportunity for interns to have direct access to robotics testing labs and manufacturing facilities.
The Co-op will be responsible for:
· Work as part of an interdisciplinary team to design and analyze mechanisms, modules or systems
· Model and detail solutions in hand sketches and SolidWorks
· Analyze components and systems using standard tools including SolidWorks Simulation (FEA) as well as hand calculations
· Participate in brainstorming sessions
· Build models and prototypes
· Conduct testing
· Support staff writing ECO's, specifications and plans
· Comfortable using hand tools
· Desire and energy to work in a fast-paced agile environment
· Hands on experience with the ability to craft simple proof-of-concept models
· Strong organizational skills and the ability to work well with teams
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit: https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
· Junior year or beyond in Mechanical Engineering program, previous co-op experience preferred.
· Solid understanding of principals, theories and concepts in mechanical engineering
· Proficiency with SolidWorks Simulation Finite Element Analysis tools