In the Harnessing Engineer role, you will be responsible for conceptualizing, designing, procuring, testing, and support integration for the wiring harnesses across the entire satellite. Robust harness systems are crucial to maintaining reliable electrical system functionality. You will have direct impact on the success of creating a constellation of communication satellites that will be capable of reaching and providing broadband internet to the most remote areas of the world.
A day in the life
As a Harness Engineer, you will be working closely with all hardware sub-system and support teams on a daily basis. You will play an integral part of gathering requirements for harness development as well as providing critical input for successful integration of avionics hardware.
About the hiring group
On the Harnessing Team, each member has the freedom to explore new ideas and explore their feasibility. Collaboration is critical to success and is always a high priority both within the team, as well as when working with other teams. While you are an individual contributor, it is still expected that each member takes ownership when needed. No job/task is beneath any member.
Project Kuiper is an initiative to launch a constellation of Low Earth Orbit satellites that will provide low-latency, high-speed broadband connectivity to unserved and underserved communities around the world.
We are seeking an experienced Harnessing Engineer to join our Mechanical Engineering team. You will be responsible for:
· Harnessing design for satellite system requiring interfacing across mechanical, electrical and payload design owners, trading various configurations to identify best overall solution for reliability, manufacturability, test, integration, and cost.
· Support make vs buy decisions, design reviews, and implement manufacturing and integration plans optimized for high rate production.
· Engage various component suppliers and Harnessing manufacturing vendors for component & assembly level qualification.
· Design/develop specifications and produce/procure power/data harnesses which meets electrical design requirements including current rating, targeted power loss, shielding, grounding and EMI/EMC.
· Perform/oversee harness qualification and acceptance tests for launch environments and operation through mission life, including test fixture fabrication for prototype evaluations, and deliver all development and flight hardware per vehicle schedules
· Create 3D CAD routings, 2D manufacturing drawings, schematics, and assembly installation drawings.
Export Control Requirement: Due to applicable export control laws and regulations, candidates must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (i.e., current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
· Advanced degree (Master’s or PhD) in mechanical, electrical, materials engineering or related field
· Experience in developing mechanical harness routing solutions for dynamic applications including across articulated joints and hinged-line deployments.
· Siemens NX CAD, Team center PLM and MES systems
· Experienced with Issue tracking applications (JIRA, TRAC)
· BS in mechanical, or electrical engineering or related discipline, or equivalent experience.
· 5+ years of experience in the design, development, test, qualification and acceptance tests, workmanship criteria and integration of spacecraft harnessing.
· 5+ years of experience with CAD routing tools
· 5+ years of experience in selection and qualification of components - connectors, backshells, wire, fiber, contacts, splices, solder, shielding, and coax products.
· 5+ years of experience in the selection of wiring based on current de-rating, voltage drop analysis, shielding effectiveness, temperature, environment, outgassing and mechanical strength.
· 2+ years experience working with external suppliers to develop/select components for spacecraft design or related industries.
· 2+ years experience working with harness manufacturing to support high rate production.