Do you enjoy solving complex problems and driving influential changes? Are you passionate about how hardware is used to make our homes and neighborhoods secure in a connected environment? Do you thrive in a fast-paced environment? Our team of Failure Analysis Engineers at Ring is tasked with solving systemic hardware issues, building tools to detect and mitigate any future recurrences, and improve the quality of our products for our customers. We work closely with development engineers and vendors to get to the root cause and drive changes back into our products. We are also responsible for driving changes back into development processes and behavior specifications.
As a member of the Ring Failure Analysis team, your primary responsibilities include root cause failure analysis of electronic, mechanical, and/or electromechanical components including assemblies. You will work with other subject matter experts in video, motion sensing, power, and communication technologies to help improve the products and customer experience. We are seeking candidates with practical knowledge of failure mechanisms related to Materials, Mechanical Systems, and/or Batteries as well as using the appropriate analytical tools including optical microscopes, real-time x-ray, scanning electron microscopes, chemical analysis equipment, and other testing and analysis tools. Good interpersonal skills and oral and written communication skills are essential. You will be required to multi-task and prioritize work to meet schedule and cost needs.
· Responsible for identifying and researching failures down to component level to improve product yield, quality, and reliability.
· Perform in-depth chemical, physical, or electromechanical failure analysis.
· Perform PCBA debugging on RMA return, determine the root cause of failure, analyze failure reports, and recommend corrective action to prevent reoccurrence of problems.
· Work with functional teams as needed to understand device issues.
· Articulate conclusions to the team and advocate for appropriate action.
· Develop new diagnostic tools or tests and more efficient FA techniques.
· Read schematics and layouts and apply failure analysis procedures to identify the failure location and the root causes.
· Write comprehensive failure analysis reports, including charts and photographs.
· Deep and up-to-date technical understanding of protocols and debugging methods for related technologies, as well as prior experience both launching new product and driving continuous product improvements.
· Demonstrated ability to achieve stretch goals across functional teams and ability to meet or exceed expected timelines for projects.
· Ability to thrive in a startup environment.
· Demonstrated ability to uncover systemic issues and drive failure analysis to root cause swiftly and accurately.
· Ability to influence cross-functional teams internally and externally.
· Proficient with SQL & Excel.
· Expertise with electronic test equipment (digital/analog) such as Logic analyzers, oscilloscopes, and test systems to do board failure analysis and debugging.
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills are a must.
· Meets or exceeds Amazon’s functional and technical depth and complexity for this role.
· Proficiency in using failure analysis laboratory equipment including sample preparation tools, SEM/EDS, and optical microscopes.
Since its founding in 2013, Ring has been on a mission to make neighborhoods safer. From the video doorbell, to Ring Alarm, which was named #1 in Customer Satisfaction for DIY Home Security Systems by J.D. Power, Ring’s smart home security product line, as well as the Neighbors app, offer users affordable whole-home and neighborhood security. At Ring, we are committed to making home and neighborhood security accessible and effective for everyone -- while working hard to bring communities together. Ring is an Amazon company. For more information, visit www.ring.com. With Ring, you’re always home.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us//.
· Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Materials Science Engineering, or Computer Science.
· 2+ years of relevant work experience with connected, electromechanical devices and debugging issues in production or in manufacturing.
· 2+ years of embedded, database or python programming experience