Amazon Go is a new kind of store with no lines and no checkout—you just grab and go! Customers simply use the Amazon Go app to enter the store, take what they want from our selection of fresh, delicious meals and grocery essentials, and go!
Our checkout-free shopping experience is made possible by our Just Walk Out Technology, which automatically detects when products are taken from or returned to the shelves and keeps track of them in a virtual cart. When you’re done shopping, you can just leave the store. Shortly after, we’ll charge your Amazon account and send you a receipt. Check it out at amazon.com/go. Designed and custom-built by Amazonians, our Just Walk Out Technology uses a variety of technologies including computer vision, sensor fusion, and advanced machine learning. Innovation is part of our DNA! Our goal is to be Earths’ most customer centric company and we are just getting started. We need people who want to join an ambitious program that continues to push the state of the art in computer vision, machine learning, distributed systems and hardware design.
This individual will shape his/her organization, its structure and processes with the goal of innovating and building new hardware to enable novel sensing options. This leader should be able to set up the device hardware, product design, and reliability/supply chain organizations with successors in place and have the ability to take on a broader leadership role in a few years.
· Recruit, manage and lead a world class hardware design team of mechanical, electrical, firmware and test engineers
· Work with the software, supply chain and business organizations in Seattle, Cupertino and internationally to execute on the current product strategy and come up with strong data driven approaches to drive key business decisions.
· Make high judgment decisions on how to accomplish and prioritize features, functions and new capabilities.
· Lead design reviews and technical innovation within the team.
· Work with the operations team for factory test and NPI build support.
Professional traits not unique to this position, but necessary for all Amazon leaders:
· Exhibits excellent judgment
· Hires great people. Develops great people.
· Has relentlessly high standards
· Thinks strategically, but stays on top of tactical execution
· Expects and requires innovation of her/his team
· Thinks big and has convictions
· Results oriented
· Has the innate ability to inspire passion in others
· Relevant experience with component architecture including hardware, software, and firmware
· Experience managing internal and external teams in the development and manufacturing of high run rate electronics
· Expertise in PCB design including schematic capture, stackup and circuit board layout.
· DFx (Design for cost, test, manufacturing) expertise
· Excellent written communication and verbal skills
· Object oriented development skills (Python, C or C++)
· Hands-on experience with Agile development methodologies
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
The ideal candidate is part leader and builder and should be comfortable working across disciplines at the intersection of hardware, product design, and industrial design. The successful candidate must be a hardware leader who has a track record of delivering new products on time and on budget. This is a high judgment leader who can frame solutions with the long-term goals in mind, and balance short-term deliverables.
The candidate should demonstrate strong team leadership, management and communications skills; can work well with others to set a product vision as well as build and manage a team to deliver. The candidate needs to be a great recruiter and a magnet for talent; has built world-class product teams. Experience managing external vendors and development/manufacturing partners is highly desirable. Has strong industry relationships/knowledge of leading design and manufacturing partners and processes and can make build vs. buy decisions.
· Bachelor's degree in Mechanical, Electrical or Computer Engineering.
· Experience with product definition, financial metrics and customer-facing experience
· Experience managing cross-functional organizations and external design partners
· Experience with high volume, cost sensitive development.
· 7+ years of experience across hardware, firmware, and embedded software development across full product life cycles
· 3+ years of experience building and managing high performance platform and/or infrastructure engineering teams