Amazon Web Services (AWS) Hardware Engineering team creates compute and storage server designs for Amazon’s innovative web services. Our designs are industry-leading in performance, frugality and operational excellence, and are critical to the success of the AWS business and the more than one million customers who use AWS today. Our Hardware Engineers solve challenging technology problems, and build architecturally sound, high-quality server platforms and components to enable AWS to realize critical business strategies. We are seeking experienced Hardware Design Engineers to build the next generation of our cloud platforms. Our success depends on our world-class server infrastructure; we’re handling massive scale and rapid integration of emergent technologies.
What you will do: As a contributing member of the Server Hardware Engineering team, you’ll be responsible for the design of our server platforms and AWS specific hardware components. You will interact with engineers across the company, and work with an interdisciplinary team to execute product designs from concept to production including design, development, validation, and the successful implementation of your work at large scale. You will contribute to the application of new technologies to large scale server deployments in a continuous effort to deliver a world-class customer experience. This is a fast-paced, intellectually challenging position, and you’ll work with thought leaders in multiple technology areas. You’ll have high standards for yourself and everyone you work with, and you’ll be constantly looking for ways to improve your products performance, quality and cost. We’re changing an industry, and we want individuals who are ready for this challenge and want to reach beyond what is possible today.
· Working with the guidance of senior Hardware Design Engineers, undertake sustaining and root cause analysis of complex issues.
· Interact with cross functional engineering teams across the company.
· Dive into and take ownership for critical design issues.
· Participate in design reviews.
· Address all aspects of technology readiness, including manufacturability.
· Help build robust methodology and processes to deliver technology to products.
The optimal individual for this role will have some knowledge X86 hardware and exposure to other HW such as FPGAs, Voltage Regulators, Networking, and PCIe add-in cards. They will be an effective user of Linux and have had some exposure to remote access to servers. Our engineers are shaping the future for the way people use computers and designing the future of cloud computing technology - come help us make history!
· Exposure to DFx (Design for cost, test, manufacturing, etc.)
· Exposure to PCB layout using Allegro or other tools
· Use of Hardware lab equipment such as digital scope, logic analyzer, and possess some soldering skills
· Excellent technical writing skills
· Experienced using Linux, Word, and Excel
· Experienced with revision control and document control
· Capable in Python and UEFI scripting
· The capability and desire to grow their technical expertise in a variety of areas, not to focus on a technical specialty
· Hardware Engineer focused on sustaining and analysis of issues
· Demonstrated experience resolving issues across multiple disciplines
· Experience working as a Technical Lead
· System level integration experience
· Platform debug experience with OSs such as Linux/Unix and Windows
· Experience in developing functional specifications, design verification plans and functional test procedures
· Experience in board, server issue root cause experience
· Commitment to testing practices and design process flows
· Customer focused
· Organizational and planning skills
· Ability to resolve complex issues in creative, efficient, and effective ways
· Experience in motherboard design, PCB design including schematic capture, stackup and circuit board layout.
· Experience in server technologies such as, thermal, mechanical, power, and signal integrity.
· Experience in component selection and understanding of component reliability.
· Meets/exceeds Amazon’s leadership principles requirements for this role
· Meets/exceeds Amazon’s functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
· Bachelor's degree in Electronic Engineering or related field
· 3+ years experience as a hardware engineer
· Some experience in areas such as: CPU, GPU, BIOS, BMC, Power delivery/VRs, Memory, PCIe, Storage, Networking, Thermal/Mechanicals, and more