The Amazon Web Services (AWS) Center for Quantum Computing in Pasadena, CA, is looking to hire a Hardware Development Engineer with experience in assembling and testing complex electromechanical systems. You will work with cryogenic systems, microwave electronics, and support hardware. Responsibilities include assembling and maintaining large scale cryogenic systems; documenting operating procedures; ensuring meticulous recording of all relevant system data; interfacing with external suppliers; and developing novel cryogenic test & measurement hardware. You would hopefully bring a strong background in engineering principles, as well as skills in data analysis, problem solving, and communication skills. Working effectively within a team environment is critical.
At the AWS CQC, we understand that developing quantum computing technology is a marathon, not a sprint. Mental and physical wellness is encouraged within our team and throughout AWS. The work/life integration within Amazon encourages a culture where employees work hard and have ownership over their downtime. We are exploring more structured wellness elements including meditation scheduling, running group meet-ups, and a culture of sharing wellness tips.
Mentorship and Career Growth
We are committed to the growth and development of every member of the Center for Quantum Computing. You will receive career-growth-minded management and mentorship from a software and science team and also have the opportunity to participate in Amazon's mentorship programs. You will work closely with quantum research scientists and have opportunities to learn about quantum computing technology and contribute to the development of scientific software for quantum computing at AWS.
Inclusive and Diverse Culture
The AWS CQC is intentional about attracting, developing, and retaining amazing talent from diverse backgrounds to build a world class team. We’re looking for a new teammate who is enthusiastic, empathetic, curious, motivated, reliable, and able to work effectively with their peers. With quantum computing being a new and growing initiative within AWS, you would have an opportunity to make an impact on our budding team culture.
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation
· PhD degree
· 5+ years of relevant experience
· Experience with operating helium dilution cryostats
· Experience with low temperature cryogenic design
· Experience with RF and coaxial cable assembly and testing
· Strong familiarity with electrical test and measurement equipment (network analyzers, spectrum analyzers, oscilloscopes, multimeters, microwave/DC probe stations, parameter analyzers, etc.)
· Basic programming skills (Python, C++, or Matlab)
· Experience working closely with other engineers as well as scientists and technicians covering a wide range of technical skill levels
· Ability to produce and present high-level reports for team-wide understanding of test data
· Curiosity and capability to rapidly learn new techniques or technical topics
· MSc degree in applied science or engineering
· 3+ year of hands-on experience working with cryogenic systems
· Basic knowledge of test and measurement equipment
· Superior problem solving and analytical skills
· Communication, data analysis, documentation, and presentation skills
· Effective working in a team environment