As an Amazon Global Field Engineer, you will provide full life-cycle support to AWS Data Centers, focused on Colos initially, from design inception through site improvement and maintenance. You will be the ‘go to’ engineering resource for Colo processes when technical advice is needed, and will use your subject matter expertise and engage with diverse teams to:
· Work with Global Expansion (Gx), Colo Infra Ops, and other Colo support teams to develop/improve processes, procedures, mechanisms, etc. to ensure FE is successful in expanding their responsibility to include Colo customers.
· Align with the Regional FE teams to confirm Colo support approach the will ensure global consistency.
· After FE Colo customer support is properly structured, you will be expected to be more involved in lease/owned datacenters efforts
· Perform design and equipment submittal review for new Data Centers with a focus on Colos.
· Focus on improving/creating Colo Troubleshooting, Root Cause Analysis (RCA) and Corrective Action (CA) documentation/processes/mechanisms for site/equipment failures.
· Review the design for existing data center upgrades and design-solutions, which add capacity, improve availability, and increase efficiency.
· Lead, Review, and approve designs for existing co-location (colo) data center upgrades which improve availability/efficiency.
· Interface with internal data center design engineering team, server hardware team, environmental health and safety team to promote standards that maintain consistency and reliability in services delivered.
· Work on concurrent projects, sometimes in multiple geographical regions.
· Review and arbitrate site audit effort within Amazon’s owned with a focus colo data centers
· Support construction, commissioning, and turnover with a focus on Colos and establishing/improving existing documentation/processes/mechanisms.
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age
· Organized and have the ability to set priorities and meet deadlines and budget
· Possess leadership and problem-solving skills
· Experience using a variety of web based and other software tools for calculation and data processing.
· Direct experience with the design, construction, operation, or maintenance of mission critical facilities, especially of colocation data centers.
· Experience as resident engineer or hands-on (in the field) design consultant.
· Knowledge of building codes and regulations for your region.
· Experience reading, interpreting, and creating construction drawings, specifications, and submittal documents.
· Ability to carry design concepts through exploration, development, and into deployment/mass production
· Possess excellent communication and writing skills, attention to detail, maintain high quality standards
· Basic understanding of both mechanical and electrical equipment/design related to data centers (Including but not limited to: uninterruptable power sources, diesel generators, electrical switchgear, power distribution units, variable frequency drives, automatic/static transfer switches, chillers [air-cooled and water-cooled], pumps, cooling towers, heat exchangers, CRAHs, air economizers, etc...)
· EPMS/SCADA/BMS Controls system experience (software and/or hardware)
· Registered Professional Engineer
· Advanced degree in engineering, business, or related field.
· Have fluent knowledge of continuous operating redundant electrical systems, cooling systems, air flow containment systems and building management systems. (Including but not limited to: uninterruptable power sources, AC/DC conversion, P&ID loops, diesel generators systems and complex arrangements, direct evaporative cooling systems, etc...)
· Ability to develop solutions and execute plans on complex projects
· Previous ownership of fast track design/build projects and or multiple significant upgrade projects
· Meets/exceeds Amazon’s leadership principles requirements for this role
· Meets/exceeds Amazon’s functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
· Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering or equivalent experience.
· 6+ cumulative years of experience with industrial or commercial engineering in Mission Critical facilities including but not limited to: data centers, power generation, oil / gas facilities. (Experienced Engineer)