The AWS Startup BD team works directly with many of the top startups in the world. We spend our days interfacing with founders of early-stage hot startups, top accelerator and incubator leadership teams, many early-stage angel and VC investors, and navigating cross-AWS and Amazon to enable startups to realize outsized success. The team is comprised of rare group of high-caliber founders, venture investors and accelerator professionals, many of who have extensive global background, to drive high-impact initiatives across AWS to build the startup ecosystem in Greater China region and support the next generation of startup entrepreneurs.
This is a great opportunity to work for one of the fastest growing startups of all time (that is, Amazon Web Services, a subsidiary of Amazon.com) while being plugged into the center of the global startup ecosystem and disruptive technology evolution that is reshaping and redefining how we live. We’re hiring for roles across major startup hubs in China, Hong Kong and Taiwan and seeking driven and talented team members who are passionate about startup life and helping startup founders.
We’re inviting you to join our team as Corporate Development Manager of Venture Capital to drive the awareness and adoption of the AWS cloud across the startup communities in China through partnerships with top venture capital firms and investor community. In this role, you will develop strategic partnership with top venture capital firms in the startup ecosystem and work closely with their portfolio companies to help them grow and prosper. We are looking for talents who have worked in a venture capital firm, have worked closely with startup founders, and who get excited about working with and mentoring early stage startup founders day-in and day-out.
Candidates must have a background as a startup founder, or investor, or accelerator operator, where they’ve built a business, likely raised capital, were involved in making venture investment decisions, and experienced the arc of business-building from nothing to something. Candidates with solid experience from startup/investment organizations such financial advisory firms, technology media, founder’s club, corporate venture investment teams, and family offices may also be considered.
Candidates must possess both business and technical background to enable the candidate to drive effective engagement with leading VC firms and interact with startup founders, engineers and builders.
Top candidates will have worked in a structured and rigorous environment, whether in a corporate structure (e.g. major technology platform companies), later-stage startup environment (e.g. reporting to a Board of Directors), investment banking, and/or consulting. The candidate must have demonstrated the ability to think strategically about market, industry, business, product and technical challenges, convey compelling data-driven decisions, and work collaboratively to build consensus.
A keen sense of ownership, drive, and scrappiness is a must, as is the ability to leverage and motivate Amazon and AWS’ global organization to achieve high-impact results in tandem.
· Serve as a key member of the Startup BD Greater China team in helping drive overall AWS market and technical strategy in the startup ecosystem.
· Develop and manage relationships with top venture firms to educate them on how AWS can help their portfolio companies scale and grow by leveraging AWS services, resources, and go-to-market programs.
· Identify key VCs with portfolio companies that have infrastructure needs, and drive engagement with these VCs to increase AWS adoption in their portfolios.
· Work with venture partners and associates as their single point of contact of all things AWS and Amazon, help them understand AWS benefits and where there may be exciting opportunities for their startups.
· Work closely with founders of many of the hottest startups to ensure they’re successfully engaging with AWS platform, making sure they have the technical and business resource required for optimal customer experience, and identifying additional opportunities for them to work more deeply with AWS and other Amazon business units.
· Execute strategic initiatives for AWS, while working closely with key internal stakeholders (e.g. sales, partners, marketing, technical, support, training, etc).
· Understand and actively utilize salesforce.com and other internal Amazon systems to manage reporting, tracking, measuring, analysis, and goal attainment for the Startup BD team.
· Prepare and deliver data-driven reviews to the senior management about progress, achievements, and roadblocks in the early stage startup business.
· Develop relationship in the broader startup ecosystem with investors (angels, VC investors, government funds, etc), technology media, co-working space, startup organizations, and all major stakeholders that have strong influence on early-stage startups.
· Participate actively in startup community events of all kinds to identify high potential startups and build personal relationship to startup founders and influencers.
· Work with and advise account management teams on solution selling and establishing executive relationships in their key accounts.
· Evangelize AWS’ value and innovation culture to startup founders and ensure they have full awareness and access to the full spectrum of the resources and services AWS/Amazon has to offer.
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English
· Startup founder/CXO experience
· MBA or equivalent from a top 20 school
· Technical background in software development, mobile Internet, or engineering
· Well networked in the startup ecosystem and a regular at key startup events
** For more information, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs
· 10+ years of total professional work experience
· 3+ years of experience and knowledge directly in the startup and venture capital ecosystem
· 3+ years of experience working within the technology industry (software, mobile, SaaS, e-commerce, etc.)
· Passion for startups with innate desire to work with startup founders and help them grow
· Ability to think and work creatively to develop unique value propositions for the local startups through collaboration with venture firms and investor community
· Strong leadership with demonstrated ability to work effectively across internal and external organizations
· Demonstrated BD mindset to help customers achieve business goals beyond just selling products/services and marketing
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills in Chinese
· Bachelor degree required