You are interested in Amazon’s Alexa? Come work on it. We, Alexa's Applied Modeling & Data Science (AMDS) team in Berlin, are building the speech and language solutions for German and French.
We are seeking an experienced, flexible and detail-oriented Data Scientist that is passionate about working with language data. You will be responsible for delivering insightful and in-depth data analyses to optimize accuracy of our natural language understanding models, i.e., your work will have a direct impact on our customers.
You should have extensive experience in science work as well as business analytics and have the aptitude to incorporate new approaches and methodologies while dealing with ambiguities in sourcing processes. You should have a demonstrated ability to think strategically and analytically about business, product and technical challenges. This role requires a strong passion for customers, a high level of comfort navigating through ambiguity and a keen sense of ownership and drive to deliver results.
· Ensure data quality throughout all stages of processing, including such areas as data sourcing/collection, ground truth generation, normalization, transformation, cross-lingual alignment/mapping, etc.
· Continuously evaluate data analysis tools and processes and offer solutions to ensure they are efficient, high-quality and scalable
· Lead high visibility and high impact programs collaborating with various teams across Amazon (from science, engineering and business backgrounds)
· Lead and test tooling developments and pilot processes to support expansion to new data areas
· Clean, analyze and select data to achieve goals
· Present proposals and results in a clear manner backed by data and coupled with actionable conclusions
· Experience working with language data, speech recognition and/or natural language processing (NLP)
· Previous experience in a ML or data scientist role with a large technology company
· Experience in writing academic-style papers for presenting both the methodologies used and results for data science projects
· Preferred but not necessary: Native or near-native fluency in German and/or French
· Strong attention to detail and experience balancing multiple tasks and deadlines
· Master’s or PhD in a quantitative field (e.g., computer science, machine learning, mathematics, statistics) or equivalent experience
· 3+ years’ experience with various data analysis and visualization tools
· Experience with Python, R, SAS, Matlab or other statistical/machine learning software
· Experience in efficiently handling large data sets, e.g., by using SQL, and databases in a business environment
· Experience developing experimental and analytic plans for data modeling processes, use of strong baselines and the ability to accurately determine cause and effect relationships
· Experience in using multiple data science methodologies to solve complex business problems
· Ability to clearly communicate insights, in verbal and written form, to stakeholders (scientists, engineering teams and business audiences) and senior management
· Strong troubleshooting and problem solving skills