On January 6, 2021 Amazon announced the Housing Equity Fund, a more than $2 billion commitment to preserve and create over 20,000 affordable housing units in Washington State’s Puget Sound region; Arlington, Virginia; and Nashville, Tennessee—three communities where the company has or expects to have at least 5,000 employees each in the coming years. Amazon’s Housing Equity Fund will help preserve existing housing and help create inclusive housing developments through below-market loans and grants to housing partners, traditional and non-traditional public agencies, and minority-led organizations.
The global accounting organization supports Amazon’s financial reporting, internal control, intercompany, and transfer pricing activities as well as global business launches for Amazon’s consumer products, digital initiatives, merchant, operations, logistics, payments, and cloud computing lines of business. Amazon’s accounting group offers opportunities in Legal Entity & Intercompany, Accounting Policy & Reporting, Operations and Capital, Transportation, Payments & Merchant Services, Retail Operations, Digital, and AWS Accounting.
This position will be responsible for owning the accounting for our financial reporting purposes related to the Housing Equity Fund. This position will be responsible for representing accounting throughout the financing process for this Housing Equity Fund, working with cross-department business leaders to ensure complete and accurate financial reporting. An ideal candidate must be able to manage a portfolio of unique transactions, perform research on complex technical accounting concepts and prepare position papers, and oversee all related operational accounting, with experience in accounting for financial instruments including loan investments, credit losses, and guarantees. An ideal candidate would also have experience in the real estate industry.
Job responsibilities will include but not limited to:
· Conducting due diligence for proposed transactions; partnering with finance on communication of key accounting issues identified.
· Building and updating loan and guarantee accounting and disclosure, amortization and models to calculate credit reserves.
· Proactively identifying, researching, consulting, and drafting technical memorandum on significant transactions.
· Managing risks across disparate business functions, driving mitigation and resolution
· Building relationships across multiple teams within Amazon to foster a collaborative and productive working relationship.
· Managing and attracting talent into Amazon
We are currently looking for manager level candidates who have held similar positions in larger banks, financial institutions or public companies or who have held a senior manager level position with a Big 4 public accounting firm serving Fortune 500 clients for two or more years. Successful candidates for this position will have the equivalent of 8+ years of professional experience with financial reporting related responsibilities. Demonstrated experience in leading teams to accomplish unusually complex challenges will be expected as this is an ongoing requirement for this position.
· Accounting or audit experience with Big 4, Fortune 500, real estate industry, banks or financial institutions
· Experience working in a fast paced environment similar to a high tech start-up
· Solid understanding of financial statement analysis and financial modeling
· Self-motivated and strong desire to exceed expectations and drive positive change in the organizations
· Strong interpersonal written and oral communication skills, solid analytical skills, and the ability to work well in a team environment
· A demonstrated history of solving multiple and complex operational and accounting challenges
· Aptitude for leading teams; influencing and galvanizing others to follow you toward a solution
· Solid organizational skills along with an aptitude for information technology
· Excellent analytical skills
· Familiarity with GAAP research tools and the FASB codification
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
· Degree in accounting, finance or related field (CPA or CFA preferred)
· 8+ years of relevant experience
· 2+ years of management leadership experience
· Experience with accounting for various financial instruments specifically including loan and equity investments, credit loss estimates, and financial guarantees.