AIRBUS Defence and Space Limited
Airbus pioneers sustainable aerospace for a safe and united world. The Company constantly innovates to provide efficient and technologically-advanced solutions in aerospace, defence, and connected services. In commercial aircraft, Airbus offers modern and fuel-efficient airliners and associated services. Airbus is also a European leader in defence and security and one of the world's leading space businesses. In helicopters, Airbus provides the most efficient civil and military rotorcraft solutions and services worldwide.
Description of the Job:
The High Altitude Pseudo Satellite (HAPS) “Zephyr” is a new, and state-of-the-art, solar powered ultra-lightweight CFRP Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) for use in both commercial and military applications from Airbus Defence and Space.
A vacancy for an Aerodynamics Engineer has arisen within Airbus Defence & Space in Farnborough, and as such you will be subject to UK Security Clearance in order to undertake related work in accordance with business needs.
The scope of this role is to support the Flight Physics development surrounding the current and future Zephyr aircraft products on cost and on quality to fulfil the HAPS Global Business Case. You will need to be resourceful, react quickly to change, proactive in planning, and able to provide technical input to advise design teams and peers on progress, issues and improvements (process and design).
Tasks & Accountabilities:
· Responsible for:
· Designing aerofoils for new platforms
· Designing efficient profiles for ancillary structures on the aircraft – such as payloads
· Optimizing the aerodynamics of the existing Zephyr platforms
· Defining and running computer simulations for the platforms
· Defining the wind tunnel test programmes to demonstrate the efficiency of new designs and improve Flight Physics knowledge
· Verification and validation of Flight Physics models based on experimental and flight test data
· Liaising with other Flight Physics Subject Matter Experts within Zephyr and wider Defence and Space teams (including centres of excellence)
· Liaising with academia to develop toolsets as required (e.g. simulation algorithms)
· Work Package Management of a defined scope: actively driving the project work forwards to achieve the agreed deliverables on time and to budget
· Specific challenges:
· The aerodynamics of the aircraft is intrinsically linked to the load demands on primary structure of the aircraft. This structure must is kept as light as possible.
· The aircraft is only 60kg and flies at 65,000ft. This results in very wing loading and low Reynold number aerofoils not encountered in many other applications.
· There may be a need to deploy overseas and support flight trials within Flight Test Engineering domain
· Accountable for the aerodynamic performance of all Zephyr platforms
Essential Skills & Experience:
An Engineering degree with proven experience.
· Experience with computer modelling (CFD) of aerodynamics.
· Working knowledge of several Flight Physics disciplines such as stability, control, loads
· Have run wind tunnel test programmes and technics. Ideally at low Reynolds numbers <500,000.
· Run semi-empirical test programmes.
· Planning own work, prioritising tasks.
· Ability to work flexibly as part of a team.
· Reliable in respect of quality and timeliness of deliverable items.
· Careful and organised approach to tasks.
· Quality conscious working method.
· Demonstrated experience of pro-actively solving technical problems
· Quality conscious working method and organised approach to tasks
· Enjoy using own initiative, working unsupervised and taking responsibility for own task package
· Supervisory experience, able to coach and mentor new team members or support staff
In return we can offer a competitive remuneration package; an ever growing list of company benefits including enhanced pay for maternity, adoption and shared parental leave and strong career development options across our transnational, market leading company.
Many of our staff work flexibly in many different ways, including part-time. Please talk to us at interview about the flexibility you need. We can’t promise to give you exactly what you want, but we do promise not to judge you for asking.
Please let us know if you need us to make any reasonable adjustments for the selection process – you can share this with the Recruitment Business Partner who gets in touch if you are invited to interview. Examples of this may include (but is not exclusive to) accessible facilities; auxiliary aids; room layout etc. Any information disclosed will be treated in the strictest confidence.
This job requires an awareness of any potential compliance risks and a commitment to act with integrity, as the foundation for the Company’s success, reputation and sustainable growth.
By submitting your CV or application you are consenting to Airbus using and storing information about you for monitoring purposes relating to your application or future employment. This information will only be used by Airbus.
Airbus is committed to achieving workforce diversity and creating an inclusive working environment. We welcome all applications irrespective of social and cultural background, age, gender, disability, sexual orientation or religious belief.