Airbus Defence and Space Portsmouth
Airbus is a global leader in aeronautics, space and related services. In 2017, it generated revenues of € 67 billion and employed a workforce of around 130,000. Airbus offers the most comprehensive range of passenger airliners from 100 to more than 600 seats. Airbus is also a European leader providing tanker, combat, transport and mission aircraft, as well as Europe’s number one space enterprise and the world’s second largest space business. In helicopters, Airbus provides the most efficient civil and military rotorcraft solutions worldwide.
Our people work with passion and determination to make the world a more connected, safer and smarter place. Taking pride in our work, we draw on each other's expertise and experience to achieve excellence. Our diversity and teamwork culture propel us to accomplish the extraordinary - on the ground, in the sky and in space.
Description of the job
A junior engineer position is open within the Payload System Engineering department of the Telecom Business Division of Airbus Defence and Space.
Our business designs and manufactures spacecraft. Our processes focus on delivering a product which has to withstand the harshest of all environments, and our communication payloads must operate with high levels of reliability in the most extreme conditions, pushing materials and technology to their very limits. This role is an opportunity to approach system engineering in a unique context, where you will be able to learn and extend your capabilities in a multi-disciplinary working environment.
The position is based on Portsmouth site which is Airbus Centre of Excellence for Telecom payloads. The position being open in the specific area of Telecom missions, it provides a unique insight into the design, analysis, integration and delivery of a state of the art end-to-end communication system. This includes the telecom payload, but the role will also provide an insight into antenna, platform and spacecraft considerations and also into ground segment elements.
The successful applicant will be subject to UK Security Clearance in order to undertake related work in accordance with business needs.
Main tasks and responsibilities:
· Support the design process of a telecom payload for RF and DC electrical aspects
· Support the payload equipment specification stage; for electrical interfaces definition and for RF performance
· Take part to the design implementation and in particular own specific tasks related to the suppliers surveillance activities (verify compliance; support manufacturing and review suppliers’ test results)
· Perform RF analyses of payload performances as part of an integrated project team.
· Support the mission through the payload project lifecycle, in particular with the preparation and presentation to the customer at the occasion of the project’s gate reviews
· Support the Assembly Integration and test phases, for electrical integration and RF testing. First, at payload level, and then at spacecraft level (for environmental tests or radiated tests for instance)
· Take part to the analysis of the test results, working hand-in-hand with the Assembly, Integration and Test operations team (working in clean room environment); lead investigations, address noncompliance and present results reports to the customer
· Throughout the project lifecycle, work hand-in-hand with other engineering teams of the business division (equipment; mechanical systems; EMC; etc.)
· Work at transverse level with other groups such as the Mechanical Design Office, Purchasing, equipment suppliers and Assembly and Integration Test teams.
As more experience is gained on project, the role will evolve and offer the opportunity to take additional responsibilities such as:
· Development of performance models for payloads; telecom systems or subsystems
· Take part to the sourcing / evaluation of future payload equipment
· Analysis of future payload system architecture
· Take part to the continuous improvement of our payload modelling and analysis tools
· Support the project team at transverse level and contribute to work outside of the strict perimeter of the repeater: liaise with antennas, active antenna; platform / spacecraft; ground segment teams
· Support R&D activities in the area of commercial Telecom but also defence and security
· Support payload proposals activities
This job requires an awareness of any potential compliance risks and a commitment to act with integrity, as the foundation for the Company’s success, reputation and sustainable growth.
We are looking for applicants with the following skills and experience:
· A degree in Telecommunications, Electrical, Electronic engineering, mathematics or physics
· Academic background supported by pre / post graduate experience gained through internship or research projects
· Any experience involving utilisation of RF instruments, test equipment; test techniques will be desirable.
· Experience of working within an environment controlled strictly through an established quality system
· Previous industrial experience in Airbus’ domain is not mandatory, but demonstration of the desire to work in the Space Industry is essential.
· Ability to work in a team environment, with demonstrable verbal and written communication skills
· Strong analytical skills and the ability to work under own initiative/autonomously
Here are some other vacancies your might like
Constructeur aéronautique, Airbus est aujourd’hui le leader mondial de la construction d’avions de ligne. Créé à la fin des années 1960 avec le projet A300, lancé à l’initiative de plusieurs pays européens, il fabrique des avions de 100 places (A318) à plus de 500 places (A380). Il appartient au groupe EADS, renommé « Airbus Group » en 2014, et présent sur 170 sites dans le monde. 6000 avions Airbus sont aujourd’hui en exploitation, avec une volonté du constructeur aéronautique de mettre l’accent sur la réduction de l’empreinte carbone (réduction de la quantité de CO2 produite par avion).
Airbus, dont le siège est situé près de Toulouse, compte 59 000 employés dans le monde et 15 sites principaux situés en France, Allemagne, Espagne et Royaume-Uni (ainsi que d’autres sites aux Etats-Unis, en Chine, au Moyen-Orient et au Japon).