Spacecraft Operations and FDIR Architect
Do you come from a Space / Aerospace background? Have an MBSE Model-Based System Engineering understanding and enjoy working in an Agile environment? Looking to work on highly visible projects that’ll make a difference? Then we want to speak to you!
We are looking for someone to either grow into a Spacecraft Operations and FDIR Architect or someone who is currently at Architect level to join a small (10+) multinational and multicultural team who love sharing knowledge. The team are organically growing and working on fascinating projects such as Sample Fetch Rover, Biomass and OneSat Payload.
You will be part of the team designing and verifying the Operations and Autonomy on the project you will be allocated to, which could be anything from a Martian Rover, to an Earth Observation satellite, or a science mission to search for exoplanets.
As a Spacecraft Operations and FDIR Architect, your main day to day will be:
· Define overall operations / Failure Detection, Isolation and Recovery (FDIR) architecture and interfaces, for a given satellite or satellite family (product approach)
· Drive Operations / FDIR development and ensure proper deliveries to internal and external customers - Space Segment User Manual (SSUM), Flight Operations Procedures (FOPs) and Recovery procedures.
· Mission Operational scenario definition, analysis and timeline
· Spacecraft operational constraints identification and analysis
· Spacecraft autonomy concept, modes and operations definition
· Interface with internal and external customers and with project team architects regarding operations (nominal and contingency) management
· Observability and commandability definition in collaboration with the Software architect
· System definition and budgets
· Monitor and control the subcontractors for operations and user manuals activities
· Organise Operations design and tuning reviews as part of Operations development
· Participate to contingencies Recovery Actions, Ground alarms, Ground tasks, Trend analysis definition in line with FDIR on board actions
· SSUM (Space Segment User Manual) development and deliveries according to software versions
· Flight Operational Procedures (nominal and contingency) development (possibly sub-contracted) and deliveries according to software versions
· Support the Operations verification & validation in the frame of functional verification (System Mission / FDIR tests)
· Launch and Early Orbit phase (LEOP), routine activities definition
· Ensure the execution of the Operations activities during development phases and monitor the related budgets.
· Participation in project technical and progress meetings
· Define on-board / ground FDIR function taking into account failure tolerance, availability and autonomy specifications.
· Perform FDIR analysis (e.g. Feared events Functional Analysis, FDIR Concept and implementation report, FDIR Numerical analysis, FDIR validation analysis).
· Specify the FDIR requirements to the project team.
· Specify the FDIR requirements to the suppliers.
· Implement the FDIR specification within the Data Base.
· Support the FDIR verification & validation in the frame of Functional Validation.
· Define ground contingency procedures as part of Operations activities.
· Spacecraft Operations & FDIR Concept Definition Document (ConOps)
· FDIR Concept and Implementation Report
· Space Segment User Manual (SSUM)
· On-Board Control Procedures (OBCPs)
· Inputs to Packet Utilisation Standard (PUS) customisation
· Strong communication skills – you will be working with a wide range of technical and none-technical people from all over the world
· Systematic approach to problem solving
· Model-Based System Engineering (MBSE)
· Understanding of Agile
· Academic or Commercial experience in Space
· Engineering background in one of the following: Space, Electrical, Embedded software, Command & Control, Communications, Robotics
Any of the following would be of interest, but they are NOT essential and training is provided:
· Flight software
· DOORS for requirements management
· JIRA for task management and anomaly processing
This role comes with infrequent travel – a couple of times a year and the option to accompany the spacecraft for testing, and supporting the Mission Control team during the first days of the mission.
Come Join Our Team!
If your profile matches with our requirements and you are interested in joining our dynamic team of professionals across a transnational business, you can apply providing your CV and covering letter outlining your motivation.
Many of our staff work flexibly in many different ways. Please talk to us at interview about the flexibility you need. We can’t promise to give you exactly what you want, but we do promise not to judge you for asking.
We value the strength that diverse perspectives bring to our business, so if you require any reasonable adjustments to participate fully in the recruitment process please discuss this with the recruiter who contacts you.
In return, we can offer a competitive salary with annual profit share, an ever-growing list of company benefits including: enhanced pay for maternity, paternity, adoption and shared parental leave and strong career development options across our transnational, market leading company.
This job requires an awareness of any potential compliance risks and a commitment to act with integrity, as the foundation for the Company’s success, reputation and sustainable growth.
AIRBUS Defence and Space Limited
Permanent Contract / CDI / Unbefristet / Contrato indefinido
Professional / Expérimenté(e) / Professionell / Profesional
Chief Engineering & Architecture
By submitting your CV or application you are consenting to Airbus using and storing information about you for monitoring purposes relating to your application or future employment. This information will only be used by Airbus.
Airbus is committed to achieving workforce diversity and creating an inclusive working environment. We welcome all applications irrespective of social and cultural background, age, gender, disability, sexual orientation or religious belief.
Airbus is, and always has been, committed to equal opportunities for all. As such, we will never ask for any type of monetary exchange in the frame of a recruitment process. Any impersonation of Airbus to do so should be reported to firstname.lastname@example.org .