Airbus is a global leader in aeronautics, space and related services. In 2019 it generated revenues of € 70.5 billion and employed a workforce of around 134,000. Airbus offers the most comprehensive range of passenger airliners. Airbus is also a European leader providing tanker, combat, transport and mission aircraft, as well as one of the world’s leading space companies. In helicopters, Airbus provides the most efficient civil and military rotorcraft solutions worldwide.
Our people work with passion and determination to make the world a more connected, safer and smarter place. Taking pride in our work, we draw on each other's expertise and experience to achieve excellence. Our diversity and teamwork culture propel us to accomplish the extraordinary - on the ground, in the sky and in space.
As an employee of Aerostack, a Joint Venture between Airbus and an automotive company, and in line with Airbus strategy to accelerate Zero Emission Aircraft development and build competences and skills in the technology domain, the jobholder will be accountable for:
· Lead engineer for the compression system of a PEM fuel cell stack for aeronautical applications (main focus on advanced light weight solutions)
· Development e.g. plastic/metal hybrid assemblies for the compression of a FC stack with focus on media guidance, current guidance, mechanics/bearings, packaging, stack manufacture processes, etc.
· Concept/design the whole compression assembly suitable for certain production processes (from prototype over small series to serial production)
· Design and test current collector assemblies or mechanical/fluidal interfaces and coordinate with the simulation/application team technical solutions respecting the customers’ requirements
· Interact with a variety of experts in the field of light weight, manufacturing, high voltage, etc. to realize the most suitable solution of a compression system for fuel cells
· Conceptual design of stack mechanics/compression system in particular respecting typical aerospace shock and vibration requirements and interact with the stack design, simulation and testing team to verify technical readiness
· Definition of specifications on component level and derivate/execute appropriate design verification and validation programs
· Work out/designing compression systems for single cell and short stack testing setups
· Supervision of prototyping and support production team
· Implementation and coordination of component related quality tests and evaluation of measurement results
· Identify, study and establish relevant production and quality control processes necessary to manufacture compression system (implement in the production environment)
· Responsible for component related patents and literature research
· Global supplier support and contact point for all component related materials/parts
· Take an active part at D-FMEAs and P-FMEAs
· Coordination/support in the preparation of drawings incl. Bills of material
· Determine appropriate cleanliness requirements for component and stack manufacturing environment.
The job holder reports operationally and functionally to the Head of Mechanical Design & Industrialization
As the successful candidate, you will be able to demonstrate some of the following competences & skills:
· Master degree in mechanical engineering, aerospace engineering or similar
· Several years of professional experience in product development/design
· Professional in fuel cell technology and skilled in fuel cell stack development
· In-depth know how of materials like plastics, metals and elastomers considering mechanical, electrical, thermal and chemical properties in the context of fuel cell applications
· Experiences with high voltage applications and the design of HV components (broad understanding of clearance and creepage distances, current carrying capacity analysis and tests, etc.)
· Familiar with typical component related manufacturing technologies (injection molding, pressure die-casting, etc.), rapid prototyping (plastics and metals) and light weight technologies
· Experienced in process development topics and quality analysis
· Familiar with process, tools and standards used in aeronautic industry
· Pragmatic mindset, ambition for simplicity and fair team player
· Capability to work in a multidisciplinary and multicultural environment
· English and German fluent, French is a benefit
Brennstoffzelle, Verspannsystem, Leichtbau, Endplatte
This job requires an awareness of any potential compliance risks and a commitment to act with integrity, as the foundation for the Company’s success, reputation and sustainable growth.
By submitting your CV or application you are consenting to Airbus using and storing information about you for monitoring purposes relating to your application or future employment. This information will only be used by Airbus.
Airbus is committed to achieving workforce diversity and creating an inclusive working environment. We welcome all applications irrespective of social and cultural background, age, gender, disability, sexual orientation or religious belief.