Airbus Helicopters SAS
Airbus is a global leader in aeronautics, space and related services. In 2019 it generated revenues of € 70.5 billion and employed a workforce of around 134,000. Airbus offers the most comprehensive range of passenger airliners. Airbus is also a European leader providing tanker, combat, transport and mission aircraft, as well as one of the world’s leading space companies. In helicopters, Airbus provides the most efficient civil and military rotorcraft solutions worldwide.
Our people work with passion and determination to make the world a more connected, safer and smarter place. Taking pride in our work, we draw on each other's expertise and experience to achieve excellence. Our diversity and teamwork culture propel us to accomplish the extraordinary - on the ground, in the sky and in space.
A vacancy for a Material and process engineer for thermoplastic materials M/F has arisen within Airbus Helicopters in Paris Le Bourget. You will join Organic materials department.
Organic materials department at Airbus Helicopters is covering the complete scope of organic materials (plastics, composites and adhesive bonds) and the whole lifecycle of materials and manufacturing processes from screening the market, certifying the materials up to investigating incidents. The Paris Le Bourget plant is the center for rotor system parts within Airbus Helicopters.
This position will require a security clearance or will require being eligible for clearance by the recognized authorities.
Tasks & accountabilities
Your main responsibilities will include:
· Develop and extend specific knowledge in the field of thermoplastic materials within the department Organic Materials (ETLO) for primary structure like rotor system parts incl. rotor blades and airframe as well as secondary structure
· Monitoring and accomplishment of material and process development and qualification projects such as characterizations, screenings, test orders and qualification programs in time, cost and quality, incl. respective documentation
· Foster the spreading of material and process simulation for thermoplastics, i.e. the up-front design and analysis of material behavior in chemical and mechanical aspects in collaboration with material suppliers (molecular simulation as well as production process simulation)
· Creation of material and process specifications incl. manufacturing instructions
· Support design and stress departments on feasibility studies and optimum material and process selection (with respect to technical and economic boundaries)
· Support global supply chain, especially quality and procurement departments on special process validations in-house and at material or part suppliers, treatment of obsolescence cases and in case of production or in-service issues treatment of non-conformities
· Support to Airbus Helicopters organic materials and processes strategy by participation in national and international research projects related to thermoplastic technologies (high end fiber-reinforced production, injection molding, additive-layer manufacturing and advanced bonding processes like thermoplastic welding)
· Collaboration in industrialization of new technologies before transfer into serial production incl. process FMEA
· Technical and co-ordination lead and participation in research and innovation projects
This role will involve frequent travel for business in Europe and as such you must be able to travel accordingly.
You will have the following skills and experience:
· Educated to 5 years’ degree level (or equivalent) in Material sciences or aeronautics or Mechanical Engineering .
· At least 3 years of experience Engineering or Manufacturing
· Organic materials knowledge , specifically composites
· Qualification and testing of materials is a plus
· Writing and reading complex technical reports
· Team player, Good communication, autonomous
· Language Skills: Negotiation level of French and English, Beginner level of German would be a plus.
This job requires an awareness of any potential compliance risks and a commitment to act with integrity, as the foundation for the Company’s success, reputation and sustainable growth.
By submitting your CV or application you are consenting to Airbus using and storing information about you for monitoring purposes relating to your application or future employment. This information will only be used by Airbus.
Airbus is committed to achieving workforce diversity and creating an inclusive working environment. We welcome all applications irrespective of social and cultural background, age, gender, disability, sexual orientation or religious belief.