Airbus Defence and Space GmbH
Airbus is a global leader in aeronautics, space and related services. In 2019 it generated revenues of € 70.5 billion and employed a workforce of around 134,000. Airbus offers the most comprehensive range of passenger airliners. Airbus is also a European leader providing tanker, combat, transport and mission aircraft, as well as one of the world’s leading space companies. In helicopters, Airbus provides the most efficient civil and military rotorcraft solutions worldwide.
Our people work with passion and determination to make the world a more connected, safer and smarter place. Taking pride in our work, we draw on each other's expertise and experience to achieve excellence. Our diversity and teamwork culture propel us to accomplish the extraordinary - on the ground, in the sky and in space.
A vacancy for a Developer: Aerodynamic Design & Analysis supporting FCAS (d/m/f) has arisen within Airbus Defence and Space in Manching. The successful applicant will join “Aerodynamic Design MAN”.
FCAS (Future Combat Air Systems) will be the Defence programme of the future for Europe and will ensure Future Air Power supremacy, the key to European and national sovereignty. In the most complex threat scenarios, FCAS will deliver increasing operational effects by leveraging the collaborative capabilities of connected platforms, bringing the next level of Air Power in highly denied environments. Airbus uniquely combines the experience, capabilities and footprint to drive with our industrial partners this strategic defence programme.
New doctrines, processes and skills need to be gradually developed in alignment with the planned arrival of FCAS capabilities and meeting the related technological challenges. FCAS will require a step by step approach to be jointly tackled by European air forces, navies and industry.
In Aerodynamic Design department in Manching we design air vehicle external shapes and provide comprehensive aerodynamic models and data on performance, handling qualities and loads in steady and unsteady mode. We ensure that optimised aerodynamic solutions and data are delivered to customers on TCQ (time, cost, quality). We also answer to aerodynamics program specification by developing & maintaining technologies, methods and tools and skills, knowledge and competencies relative to the Aerodynamics disciplines and all support activities or expertise required to meet the Programmes overall design and major components or systems integration needs throughout their life cycles. '
As Developer : Aerodynamic Design & Analysis supporting FCAS your main Tasks and Responsibilities include :
· Analysis of aerodynamic shapes by numerical, experimental and theoretical methods & tools for the development of high and low aspect ratio A/C, including scale-resolving numerical simulations
· Application and development of software for the simulation and analysis of compressible turbulent flows around high and low aspect ratio aircraft
· Mathematical Modelling of the aerodynamic aircraft characteristics in the full flight envelope (aerodynamic dataset)
· Deliver aerodynamic solutions and data to the customer on time, on cost and on quality
· Cooperate with all disciplines relevant for physics of flight such as structures, loads, flight dynamics, mass, etc.
· Preliminary and detailed design of aerodynamic aircraft shapes by conclusions from aerodynamic analysis for the development of high and low aspect ratio A/C in a multi-disciplinary environment; selection and presentation of the best design solutions
· Support and/or lead of the preparation, execution and results analysis of wind tunnel experiments
· Continuous improvement of the aerodynamic software tool chains by developing S/W scripts based on prescribed requirements
· Development and support of software for the mathematical modelling of the aerodynamic aircraft characteristics (aero dataset)
· Link with the external research community in the field of aerodynamic methods & tools, in consistence with the company strategy
Required Skills and Experiences :
· Higher education in aerospace engineering, mechanical engineering, mathematics or equivalent
· Excellent knowledge in fluid dynamics (aerodynamics, gas dynamics, thermodynamics)
· Background within the field of numerical simulation, preferably computational fluid dynamics (CFD)
· Knowledge in aircraft design, flight mechanics and aircraft engine properties
Experience and interest in one or more of the following fields is stipulated:
· Application of the complete tool chain for high fidelity CFD simulations
· Linear and Non-Linear iterative solvers
· Discretization methods for partial differential equations
· Turbulent flows and turbulence modelling
· Mesh generation
· 3D-CAD-systems for parametric shape design (e.g. CATIA V5)
· Programming with at least one common programming language (e.g. Python, C, C++)
· Knowledge about the capabilities and limits of numerical and experimental aerodynamic methods & tools
The following way of working and social behavior is appreciated:
· Autonomous, independent, target-oriented and flexible way of working
· Ability to continuously improve the own engineering skills and expertise
· Ability to integrate into a dynamic team of aerodynamic specialists
· Ability to concisely summarize and present complex aerodynamic findings and correlations
· Ability to prioritize technical solutions in order to balance with economic constraints
· Minimum language skills: negotiation level in English; good German skills are advantageous
The position offers varied and interesting work in an environment where personal initiative is supported and cultivated.
This job requires an awareness of any potential compliance risks and a commitment to act with integrity, as the foundation for the Company’s success, reputation and sustainable growth.
By submitting your CV or application you are consenting to Airbus using and storing information about you for monitoring purposes relating to your application or future employment. This information will only be used by Airbus.
Airbus is committed to achieving workforce diversity and creating an inclusive working environment. We welcome all applications irrespective of social and cultural background, age, gender, disability, sexual orientation or religious belief.