Airbus Defence and Space Ltd.
Airbus is a global leader in aeronautics, space and related services. In 2018 it generated revenues of € 64 billion and employed a workforce of around 134,000. Airbus offers the most comprehensive range of passenger airliners. Airbus is also a European leader providing tanker, combat, transport and mission aircraft, as well as one of the world's leading space companies. In helicopters, Airbus provides the most efficient civil and military rotorcraft solutions worldwide.
Our people work with passion and determination to make the world a more connected, safer and smarter place. Taking pride in our work, we draw on each other's expertise and experience to achieve excellence. Our diversity and teamwork culture propel us to accomplish the extraordinary - on the ground, in the sky and in space.
Description of the job
An experienced AOCS/GNC (Attitude and Orbital Control System/Guidance, Navigation and Control) Architect is required in the Flight Dynamics and AOCS/GNC Department.
The AOCS/GNC Architect is responsible for ensuring AOCS/GNC development activities are performed on quality, on time and on cost. You will ensure that AOCS activities are properly coordinated across the whole project, that agreed schedule is maintained, and that all activities are successfully completed within the defined budgets. The AOCS/GNC architect also proactively technically manages subcontracts.
The job is a challenging and exciting mix of systems engineering including HW (sensors and actuators) know-how, control engineering, project management and subcontract management.
You will be expected to guide, review and approve AOCS/GNC design and analysis activities through the full engineering lifecycle from initial concept design through to support to validation, producing the associated documentation (design justifications, SW requirements for AOCS/GNC algorithms, performance analysis documentation).
In addition to strong technical skills, you should have the potential to guide other engineers and be experienced with work package management / cost control processes. Subcontract management skills, with particular emphasis on schedule adherence and management, are necessary.
The role will require routine business travels, both within the UK and around Europe.
Tasks & accountabilities
Specific tasks will include:
- As a key member of the system engineering team, contribute to the best optimisation of the overall system, by capturing the needs of other sub-systems, and proposing the adequate AOCS-level solutions for the other disciplines
- Responsibility for defining and managing the AOCS/GNC System Requirements and Assumptions along the full lifecycle of Design, Development, Implementation, Performance and Validation.
- Interface with customer, systems engineering team, project management and subcontractors.
- Control AOCS/GNC budget and schedule, define risks and risk mitigation strategies.
- Responsibility for technically managing subcontractors in what relates to the Spacecraft AOCS/GNC System.
- Supporting the procurement of the AOCS/GNC sensors & actuators, checking / approving performance analyses, and supporting the Software and System Validation & Verification (with Hardware in the loop).
- Analyse the Functional Verification test results and assess if the AOCS/GNC verification is achieved.
- Support the Software Architect during the Software reviews on items related to AOCS/GNC.
This job requires an awareness of any potential compliance risks and a commitment to act with integrity, as the foundation for the Company’s success, reputation and sustainable growth.
Essential Skills and Experience:
- Matlab and Simulink experience.
- General computer literacy, including MS Office.
- Subcontract management
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- The ability to interact comfortably within a team environment.
- Space industry experience including AOCS/GNC
Desirable Skills and Experience:
- Mathematical modelling
- Computer simulations
- Software development in C (or C++)
Many of our staff work flexibly in many different ways, including part-time. Please talk to us at interview about the flexibility you need. We can’t promise to give you exactly what you want, but we do promise not to judge you for asking.
We value the strength that diverse perspectives bring to our business, so if you require any reasonable adjustments to fully participate in the recruitment process please discuss this with the recruiter who contacts you
The successful candidate will need to be eligible to gain UK SC Security Clearance to undertake the role.
In return we can offer a competitive salary with annual profit share; an ever growing list of company benefits and strong career development options across our transnational, market leading company.