Airbus Defence and Space Farnborough
Airbus is a global leader in aeronautics, space and related services. In 2017, it generated revenues of € 67 billion and employed a workforce of around 130,000. Airbus offers the most comprehensive range of passenger airliners from 100 to more than 600 seats. Airbus is also a European leader providing tanker, combat, transport and mission aircraft, as well as Europe's number one space enterprise and the world's second largest space business. In helicopters, Airbus provides the most efficient civil and military rotorcraft solutions worldwide.
Our people work with passion and determination to make the world a more connected, safer and smarter place. Taking pride in our work, we draw on each other's expertise and experience to achieve excellence. Our diversity and teamwork culture propel us to accomplish the extraordinary - on the ground, in the sky and in space.
Description of the job
The High Altitude Pseudo Satellite (HAPS) “Zephyr” is a new, and state-of-the-art, solar powered ultra-lightweight CFRP Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) for use in both commercial and military applications from Airbus Defence and Space.
A number of new roles are being created for Skilled Technicians inside the HAPS Operations team. The scope of this role is to manufacture to time, cost and quality the new HAPS Zephyr aircraft and associated Ground Support Equipment to fulfil the HAPS Global Business Case.
The successful applicants will report to the Zephyr Production Operations Manager and join the TUMZM business unit in Farnborough, Hampshire, UK.
The successful applicant will be subject to UK Security Clearance in order to undertake related work in accordance with business needs.
Your main tasks and responsibilities will include:
· Avionic and mechanical equipment installation, wiring and system integration of UAV's platforms
· Manufacture of avionic in-house components as required
· Maintain build records
· Health and Safety process adherence and reporting
· Self-certification of work completed
· Continuous Improvement of the production system
· Contribution to Problem Solving and corrective action delivery
· Safe handling and protection of very fragile and flexible components
This job requires an awareness of any potential compliance risks and a commitment to act with integrity, as the foundation for the Company's success, reputation and sustainable growth.
We are looking for applicants with the following skills and experience:
· Hands-on multi-skilled practical avionic/electronic engineering technician
· Demonstrated knowledge of production/maintenance processes to high quality standards
· Ability to read and understand engineering drawings and interpret requirements into finished products
· Demonstrated experience pro-actively solving technical problems
· Experience of hands-on production of avionic hardware and wiring installations
· Ability to work flexibly as part of a team
· Quality conscious working method and organised approach to tasks
· Conducting and recording of installation and system integration tests
· Enjoy using own initiative, working unsupervised and taking responsibility for own task package
· Enjoy providing technical input and advice to design teams and peers on manufacturing procedures, issues and ideas for improvement
· Academic qualifications in an avionic/electronic engineering discipline
· Time served apprenticeship in avionic/electronic manufacture / installation / test
· Previous experience in Aerospace sector
· IT Skills appropriate for the role
Many of our staff work flexibly in many different ways, including part-time. Please talk to us at interview about the flexibility you need. We can't promise to give you exactly what you want, but we do promise not to judge you for asking.
We value the strength that diverse perspectives bring to our business, so if you require any reasonable adjustments to fully participate in the recruitment process please discuss this with the recruiter who contacts you
Constructeur aéronautique, Airbus est aujourd’hui le leader mondial de la construction d’avions de ligne. Créé à la fin des années 1960 avec le projet A300, lancé à l’initiative de plusieurs pays européens, il fabrique des avions de 100 places (A318) à plus de 500 places (A380). Il appartient au groupe EADS, renommé « Airbus Group » en 2014, et présent sur 170 sites dans le monde. 6000 avions Airbus sont aujourd’hui en exploitation, avec une volonté du constructeur aéronautique de mettre l’accent sur la réduction de l’empreinte carbone (réduction de la quantité de CO2 produite par avion).
Airbus, dont le siège est situé près de Toulouse, compte 59 000 employés dans le monde et 15 sites principaux situés en France, Allemagne, Espagne et Royaume-Uni (ainsi que d’autres sites aux Etats-Unis, en Chine, au Moyen-Orient et au Japon).