Airbus ExO Zero Emissions SAS
Airbus is a global leader in aeronautics, space and related services. In 2019 it generated revenues of € 70.5 billion and employed a workforce of around 134,000. Airbus offers the most comprehensive range of passenger airliners. Airbus is also a European leader providing tanker, combat, transport and mission aircraft, as well as one of the world’s leading space companies. In helicopters, Airbus provides the most efficient civil and military rotorcraft solutions worldwide.
Our people work with passion and determination to make the world a more connected, safer and smarter place. Taking pride in our work, we draw on each other's expertise and experience to achieve excellence. Our diversity and teamwork culture propel us to accomplish the extraordinary - on the ground, in the sky and in space.
Description of Airbus UpNext
Founded in 2017, Airbus UpNext is actively shaping the future of aerospace by using flying demonstrators to evaluate, mature and validate new products and services.
Designed as a talent incubator, Airbus UpNext is a place where you can act and think like a
startup while building on the strong expertise of Airbus, a place where you are empowered to challenge and test new processes and ways of working.
Our mission is:
▪ To identify the trends that could disrupt the future of the aerospace industry and evaluate them to demonstrate their potential as a viable product.
▪ To accelerate traditional research cycles and prototype development to achieve proof of concept in a real environment and at a convincing scale and speed.
▪ To develop real-world applications for emerging aerospace technologies, there by driving their maturity and increasing their value.
▪ To be THE reference for Technology Value Assessment
Our Values: #Keep it Simple #Act as one Team #Be Audacious
Our DNA: #Speed of Execution, #Bold Experimentation, #Outward Looking
We are looking for an Intern who will be joining Airbus UpNext in Toulouse on one of our demonstrators.
This internship is to be filled for a 6 months duration with a likely start end of March.
You will be part of the team in charge of designing, manufacturing and testing a cryogenic and superconducting powertrain for aircraft applications. The objective of this project is to demonstrate the feasibility and the potential of these technologies to enable high power electric flight with partners from worldwide industry, research institutes and start-ups.
The superconductors are a class of materials that presents a zero electrical resistance to a DC current when cooled at cryogenic temperatures. Thus, the maximal current, a superconductor can accept, reach values that can be hundred times more important than a conventional copper conductor. The interest for these materials, used in the electrical engineering applications, appears immediately. This is the reason why beyond the solutions for the future aircrafts, the superconducting electrical machines emerge as a serious candidate to reduce the weight/volume or increase the efficiency.
As a Superconducting electric motor intern (m/f), you will be part of the ASCEND (Advanced Superconducting and Cryogenic Experimental powertraiN Demonstrator) team and in charge of a new approach to design the superconducting rotating machines.
The internship will be a rewarding experience if you are passionate about aeronautic, sciences, new technologies, and have a strong background in conventional electrical machines. Specific knowledge about the superconducting phenomenon is not required and this adventure will be a good opportunity for you to experience some cutting-edge technologies that researchers are facing today to think about the world of tomorrow.
You work collaboratively, with humility and are a constant learner about how to improve your knowledge and the performance of yourself.
As a Superconducting electric motor intern (m/f), you will be part of the team in charge of designing superconducting electric motor:
▪ Understand some basic behaviours of the superconductivity
▪ Understand the challenge in manufacturing a superconducting machine
▪ Take charge and improve an internal code to design superconducting electrical machine
▪ Perform a mass optimization for a 500 kW-class (5000 rpm) machine
▪ Validation of the results with an electromagnetic analysis using a finite element software
Your boarding pass
As the successful candidate you will be able to demonstrate some or all of the following skills and competencies:
▪ Master degree in electrical engineering or equivalent
▪ Strong knowledges in the conventional electrical motors and their design tools
▪ Strong knowledge in Matlab
▪ Basic understanding to other scientific fields such as thermic & mechanic
▪ Autonomy, Adaptability, Availability, Accountability
▪ Hands-on and solution oriented attitude
▪ Passionate about technology, science
▪ Sharing the values of transparency, courage, humility, empathy
▪ Willing to have fun.
This job requires an awareness of any potential compliance risks and a commitment to act with integrity, as the foundation for the Company’s success, reputation and sustainable growth.
By submitting your CV or application you are consenting to Airbus using and storing information about you for monitoring purposes relating to your application or future employment. This information will only be used by Airbus.
Airbus is committed to achieving workforce diversity and creating an inclusive working environment. We welcome all applications irrespective of social and cultural background, age, gender, disability, sexual orientation or religious belief.