Liverpool (Liverpool) Accounting / Management control
· Job type
· External Reference
Accountancy & Finance - Payroll
We are currently recruiting for an experienced Payroll Officer to work for Merseyside Police out of their Police Headquarters in Rosehill.
This is a temporary role for approximately 18 months, working Monday to Friday and will be office based.
DUE TO POLICE VETTING CRITERIA YOU MUST HAVE RESIDED WITHIN THE UK CONTINUOUSLY FOR AT LEAST 3 YEARS.
To provide advice and guidance to the Force regarding payroll and pension matters and to act as a central point of contact for the transmission of payroll and pension information to and from the payroll and pension contractors to ensure the effective management of such contracts and to ensure the provision of a professional payroll and pensions support service
· To interpret and apply legislation and organisational policies relating to pension and payroll provision including third party and civil litigation claims in order to provide guidance and information to managers, officers and staff, ensuring Force wide awareness. To calculate and provide accurate individual pension entitlement estimates on request by management.
· To extract and collate information for completion of annual earnings surveys, liaise with both internal departments and external agencies when required, in response to requests from the third party payroll and pension providers, requests from the Merseyside Pension Fund, external agencies and internal departments and to present that information in a meaningful and appropriate manner.
· To extract and analyse data from Force systems in order to provide information to assist the decision-making process relating to Force Voluntary Early Retirement and Injury Allowance Schemes including the calculation of entitlements under these schemes. To provide accurate information relating to Voluntary Early Retirement, Redundancy and injury pension review cases to allow readily available information to be extracted and presented to senior managers
· To attend meetings as and when required with the Merseyside Pension Fund and other agencies including attendance at relevant seminars, to maintain an up-to-date knowledge of the relevant specialisms to enable effective advice and guidance to be provided to the Force.
· Verify and authorise payroll validation including payroll certificate and exception reports to ensure they conform to all Statutory and Force requirements, advising the Force Accountant and Systems and Exchequer Services Manager over variations to financial information.
· To provide advice and information to, and liaise with the payroll and pension providers in respect of any contractual changes which affect pension entitlement, in order to ensure correct payment of salaries, pensions and additional payments in order to maintain a continuous and accurate flow of information between the providers, external agencies, BCU/ Depts and the Merseyside Pension Fund.
· To assist in the development and operation of quality systems and procedures within the unit including the development and implementation of Service Level Agreements (SLA's) and Key Performance Indicators (KPI'S) thereby ensuring customer focus and cost effective systems.
· To process all volume payroll activities such as annual pay awards to the payroll provider to ensure the accurate and timely payment of such entitlements.
· To develop effective and cohesive working relationships with colleagues across the Personnel Directorate.
· Extract data from the Personnel System to assist with the decision making process relating to half pay/no pay. Arrange and attend meetings with the Chief Constable to consider the half pay/no pay process.
· Undertake all responsibilities relating to information management, data quality, information sharing, intelligence and information security in accordance with the ACPO Guidance on the Management of Police Information in order to achieve compliance with the Statutory Code of Practice.
· Be accountable for all Health and Safety issues, to include risk assessment, pertaining to the postholder's area of responsibility in order to fulfil the statutory obligations of the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE
· The post holder should be an associate member of the Institute of Payroll Professionals (IPP) or give a commitment to gain membership.
· A thorough knowledge of the Local Government Pension Scheme and related legislation, Police Staff Handbook and Police Regulations to provide guidance and information of manual costings and calculations.
· The post holder must possess good analytical skills with the ability to solve problems and have the confidence to make recommendations following reviews and research. Must be able to manipulate data to aid greater analysis of information and be able and willing to work flexibly in different settings and on different topics.
· The post holder must be self motivated and have the ability to work under pressure, prioritising differing demands from customers and stakeholders, ensuring a comprehensive and consistent approach to the provision of a professional payroll and pensions contract service.
· The post holder must be IT literate with the ability to use Windows and MS Office applications. Experience and understanding of Merseyside Pension Fund IT systems is essential to this role.
· The post holder must be organised and confident in their ability to deal with people at all levels both within the organisation and externally through the application of effective interpersonal skills and good oral and written communication.
Adecco acts as an employment agency for permanent recruitment and an employment business for the supply of temporary workers. The Adecco Group UK & Ireland is an Equal Opportunities Employer.
By applying for this role your details will be submitted to Adecco. Our Candidate Privacy Information Statement explains how we will use your information - please copy and paste the following link in to your browser https://www.adecco.co.uk/candidate-privacy
To speak to a recruitment expert please contact Lynette crisp