· Job type
· External Reference
Accountancy & Finance - Public Sector Accountancy & Finance
Our client is currently looking for an Accountant to join their existing team with a local authority.
Reporting to the Principal Accountant and Finance Manager, the role will be to support, formulate and develop service budgets as well as monitor the budgets alongside the budget holder. The post holder would be required to highlight financial issues and provide suggestions and assistance in resolving financial matters arising from budget monitoring and setting.
The duties of the role include, but are not exclusive to;
· To work closely with Services/Departments within the Council to set and manage budgets.
· To ensure close monitoring of service budgets and early highlighting of issues, providing suggestions and assistance for resolving such matters.
· To provide budget challenge and escalation of issues as appropriate.
· To contribute towards the compilation, monitoring and reporting of the Medium Term Financial Strategy and Annual Budget.
· To assist with the setting of fees and charges within your areas of responsibility.
· To complete key reconciliations and clearance of suspense account.
· To be aware of the VAT implications on service budgets and projects.
· To liaise with Internal and External Audit to resolve any queries in a helpful and timely manner.
· To participate in projects by providing financial support, as required.
· To deliver continuous improvement in processes and practices within the Financial Services Department.
· To manage and report on statutory and operational performance indicators and targets relevant to your area.
· To contribute to the closure of the accounts and preparation of the Statement of Accounts.
· Ensure the company meets all statutory and external reporting requirements.
· To complete and maintain procedure notes for your areas of responsibility.
· To contribute towards the formulation and review of service plans.
· Undertake such other duties as may be reasonably required within this post to support the operational needs of the service area and business, including maintaining business continuity and during any civil emergencies.
The ideal candidate would be qualified or part-qualified CCAB or equivalent and have knowledge and experience of budgetary control and annual statement of accounts. Knowledge of the public sector would be advantageous.
Adecco acts as an employment agency for permanent recruitment and an employment business for the supply of temporary workers. The Adecco Group UK & Ireland is an Equal Opportunities Employer.
By applying for this role your details will be submitted to Adecco. Our Candidate Privacy Information Statement explains how we will use your information - please copy and paste the following link in to your browser https://www.adecco.co.uk/candidate-privacy
To speak to a recruitment expert please contact Stephanie milliken