Head Sushi Chef, Raw Bar
A rare opportunity has become available to join the Fairmont Pacific Rim Hotel. The hotel has multiple dynamic F&B outlets, including the highly regarded Raw Bar, which is known in the market place for top quality sushi A perfect role for a creative Head Sushi Chef, you will be hands-on and love leading your team from the front.
Summary of Responsibilities:
- Creates a la carte menus for the Raw Bar. Menu categories include maki, nigari, sashimi, small plates/ appetizers, salads, soups, rice dishes, noodles dishes and potentially more.
- Creates themed menus for food promotions throughout the year.
- Create weekly/monthly specials based on seasonal a products, theme’s, market trends, hotel goals
- Works with Executive Chef and sales & marketing team on overall promotion plans, themed food offerings, current market trends, food photography.
- Practical training of cooks, through hands on training/demonstrations, written recipes with methods, pictures of all finished dishes, to ensure overall quality, consistency, portion control, plate presentation
- Ensure that the food product of the Raw Bar is the leading product in the city.
- Responsible for food costing all dishes on all Raw Bar menus and managing overall food cost for the Raw Bar.
- Responsible for creating weekly schedule for staff, ensuring proper staffing levels and working within the allocated labor hours, productivity guidelines and understanding the monthly labor goals.
- Ensures that the kitchen, pre areas and equipment is always clean, sanitary and organized.
- Ensure that equipment is in good operating condition and reports if it needs maintance.
- Ensure departmental standards as determined with the Executive Chef.
- Uphold culture and standards of the Fairmont Pacific Rim
- Monitors performance levels of all team members and acts accordingly.
- Strives to advance his/her knowledge, skills and abilities and consistently share these with others.
- Acts as a role model to staff members by maintaining a professional work ethic and displaying sound cooking skills and food knowledge
- Actively participates in the Fairmont Pacific Rim's environmental program and department specific initiatives in working towards sustainable operations.
- Health & Safety conscious and actively involved in maintaining a safe work environment.
- Other duties as assigned
- A minimum of two years previous experience in a Head Sushi Chef position serving high end, refined sushi & Japanese cuisine required.
- Minimum of 6-8 years of Sushi and overall Japanese cuisine experience. This includes experience with sushi, rice dishes, noodles dishes, hot appetizers, salads, soups.
- Strong ability to create and develop food within specific parameters, ensuring all steps are process are met along the way.
- Stays current and knowledgeable of local and global cuisine trends and is able to apply those into our offerings
- Stays current and knowledge of contemporary Japanese cuisine and sushi trends in presentation, preparation, products and taste
- Must be an effective leader, manager, trainer, administrator and team player with strong communication, time management and organizational skills.
- Must be resourceful, innovative, detail oriented and quality conscious
- Proven track record of cost control including food, labor, equipment and wastage to meet the hotels financial goals.
- Experience organizing off-site catering events is an asset.
- Previous experience teaching or doing demonstrations is an asset.
- BC Food Safe Certification is required.
Visa Requirements: Must be legally eligible to work in Canada. The hotel is unable to assist candidates in obtaining Canadian work authorization.
ABOUT FAIRMONT HOTELS & RESORTS
At Fairmont Hotels & Resorts we offer our guests the finest hospitality experience in each of our destinations. And we know that, to offer our guests the best, we first need to offer our employees the best. That’s why you'll find exceptional work opportunities—throughout North America and the Caribbean, Europe and Africa, the Middle East and Asia Pacific—as well as industry-leading training, career development, recognition and rewards. Fairmont Hotels & Resorts is a celebrated collection of hotels that includes landmark locations like London’s The Savoy, New York’s The Plaza, and Shanghai’s Fairmont Peace Hotel. Our teams are guided by values of Respect, Integrity, Teamwork and Empowerment; we employ the highest ethical and quality standards, treating all colleagues with fairness and dignity. A community and environmental leader, Fairmont is also regarded for its responsible tourism practices and award-winning Green Partnership program. An exciting future awaits!
WHY WORK FOR ACCOR?
We are 300,000 experts committed to reinventing hospitality with unique and unrivalled experiences within our addresses. We’re so much more than hotels— We are a worldwide Augmented Hospitality leader. We’re creating innovative lifestyle experiences, whether you live, work or play. Blaze your own trail from 30+ hotel brands, restaurants, nightclubs, spas, co-working spaces, and tech start-ups.
To connect with us, please visit careers.accor.com.