As one of the leading Hotels in Exeter, the Mercure Exeter Southgate is looking for a Head Chef to play a key part in driving the Food & Beverage Operation at the Hotel. We are looking for someone with a CAN DO attitude who is willing to drive quality, leadership and revenue at the Hotel whilst also benefiting for working as part of a large chain of Hotels. The Hotel not only has a strong restaurant and bar offering, but also has a busy Meeting & Events function as well.
Overview of duties
• Guarantees a high standard of culinary services offered to guests
• In conjunction with the F&B Manager, prepares the hotel's F&B offers in line with the hotel's positioning (market, competition etc) and brand policy
• Is able to innovate and diversify services offered to guests
• Manages and motivates the kitchen staff in order to offer a high standard of service to guests
• Is responsible for food hygiene, safety and quality in the hotel
• Is responsible for meeting the department's quantitative and qualitative targets'
Professional techniques / Production
• Is jointly responsible for ensuring respect of job descriptions
• Organises and supervises food preparations in line with the occupancy and consumption forecasts
• Prepares dishes and/or supervises preparation
• Supervises the different sections of the kitchen: production of hot and cold dishes, patisserie, dishwashing etc
• In conjunction with the Sous Chef and F&B Manager, prepares the menus and à la carte choices
• Prepares the cooking instructions and ensures they are duly applied
• Oversees the whole workshift: ensures respect of the maximum waiting times defined by the brand, checks the presentation and temperature of dishes, etc
• Coordinates with restaurant serving staff in order to ensure that service runs smoothly
• Ensures that all information is duly passed on to other departments as appropriate
• Plays an active role in meetings for Heads of Department'
'• Develops team spirit and motivation by creating a good working atmosphere
• Takes part in or validates recruitments
• Organises the welcome and integration of new employees
• Prepares and/or checks the work schedules in line with activity forecasts
• Carries out annual performance appraisals and sets targets for employees
• Prepares the training plan for the department and insures the implementation
• Helps employees improve their skills and provides support for career development
• Applies labour legislation'
Commercial / Sales
• Keeps track of trends in the restaurant market
• Adapts the offer to suit changing customer expectations
• Regularly assesses the quality of services based on guests' remarks and quality audits
• Keeps informed of developments in competitor hotels
• Maintains excellent relations with suppliers
• In conjunction with the F&B Manager, positions the pricing policy to suit the market'
Management and administration
• Prepares the department's annual budget in line with hotel strategy
• Orders merchandise in compliance with the group's purchasing policy (REGAL), giving priority to orders via ACCORSHOP
• Manages stocks and supplies
• Organises the department to suit need and optimises headcount to improve ''prime cost''
• Respects the productivity ratios as budgeted
• Carries out inventories, inputs data and explains consumption differences
• With the team, is continually looking for ways to improve costs and ratios while maintaining the high standard of service
• Is actively involved in end-of-month procedures and justifies any differences'
Hygiene / Personal safety / Environment
• Ensures that the equipment and appliances under his/her responsibility are used correctly and kept in good condition by kitchen team
• Ensures the respect and due application of the rules of hygiene in the department (HACCP standards etc)
• Sets up an action plan following the hygiene analysis results and tracks implementation
• Checks that employees' uniforms are clean and in good condition
• Ensures that safety instructions are respected for the use of kitchen equipment
• Applies and ensures application of the hotel's security regulations (in case of fire etc)
• Respects and ensures respect of the hotel's commitments to the ''Environment Charter'' (saving energy, recycling, sorting waste etc)
• Is responsible for the security of people and property within his/her remit'
Mercure and its people
Hotels with individuality, passion for service and committed to quality and guest satisfaction.
Join a team of warm and friendly professionals who will share their love for hospitality.
Level of Education Vocational education
Areas of study Cooking
Professional experiences 3 to 5 years
Languages essential English
Essential and optional requirements
Here are some other vacancies your might like
AccorHotels, l’hôtelier mondial de référence !
- Une présence dans 100 pays.
- 4 300 hôtels et près de 620 000 chambres.
- Un large portefeuille de marques, allant du luxe à l’économique : Raffles, Fairmont, Sofitel, Rixos, MGallery, Grand Mercure, Pullman, Swissôtel, Angsana,The Sebel, Novotel, Suite Novotel, Mercure, Mama Shelter, Adagio, ibis, ibis Styles, ibisbudget, hotelF1.
Aujourd’hui, AccorHotels est bien plus qu’un leader mondial : c’est un groupe de 250 000 hôteliers qui partagent une même passion.
Notre ambition : être l’acteur hôtelier mondial de référence. Pour proposer à nos clients, collaborateurs, partenaires, une expérience unique.
Pour cela, le Groupe a annoncé, le 3 juin 2015, élargir son terrain de jeu, pour accélérer sa transformation. AccorHotels devient plus ouvert, plus connecté et plus affirmé, et ce afin de continuer à bousculer les codes de l’hôtellerie.
Sous l’impulsion de Sébastien Bazin, Président-directeur général, la stratégie du Groupe s’appuie sur plusieurs fondamentaux :
- un nouveau nom, AccorHotels, une nouvelle promesse, Feel Welcome, exprimés à travers une identité renouvelée.
- deux expertises d’opérateur/franchiseur (HotelServices) et de propriétaire/investisseur
- un large portefeuille de marques de renommée internationale allant du luxe (Raffles, Fairmont, Sofitel, Pullman, MGallery, Grand Mercure, The Sebel), à l’économique (ibis, ibis Styles, ibis budget, adagio access et hotelF1) en passant par le milieu de gamme (Swissôtel, Novotel, Suite Novotel, Mercure, Mama Shelter,
- la puissance de sa place de marché et de son programme de fidélité Le Club AccorHotels ;
- l’engagement depuis près de 50 ans d’un groupe citoyen et solidaire avec son programme de développement durable PLANET 21.