Banquet Porter (full-time)
You are an ambassador for the exceptional service and cuisine that are hallmarks of our food & beverage experience. Your warm, personal attention and knowledge of our outstanding offerings makes guests feel unique and valued.
Do you enjoy helping others and building emotional connections to make people feel special and welcomed? If so, then we want YOU to be part of our Fairmont Royal York family.
Every day you will be responsible for engaging with our guests, clients and colleagues. You will create the essential Toronto experience at the hotel that has been a Canadian icon for over 91 years. You will be given the responsibility to ensure that our guests and colleagues feel WELCOMED, CARED FOR and INCREDIBLE. Being part of the Fairmont Royal York family is more than providing warm and consistent service. As an ambassador of Fairmont Royal York, you will take the initiatives necessary to turn moments into memories by taking the time to understand our guests’ purposes: why are they staying at Fairmont Royal York, what is their length of stay and what are their preferences and passions? Making our guests feel heard and cared for creates an emotional connection to our brand and builds loyalty.
These emotional connections are not just for guests. As part of the Fairmont Royal York family, you will be tasked with creating impactful relationships with your colleagues.
If creating these lasting relationships and experiences excites you, read more about how your role supports our vision of continuing to create the essential Toronto experience!
What is in it for you:
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Extended Healthcare Plan Coverage
- Opportunity to develop your talent and grow within the Company and across the world!
- Ability to make a difference through our Corporate Social Responsibility activities, like Planet 21
- All Heartists Travel Program for stays at properties world-wide
What you will be doing:
- To successfully set/tear down banquet rooms for meetings and functions as specified by event contracts, resumes, and supervisors in a congenial, friendly, helpful and timely manner.
- Have complete knowledge of the hotel’s events, services and facilities
- Ensure prompt and courteous service is extended to both internal and external customers
- Maintain an orderly working environment, informing your manager of any deficiencies
- To carry out tasks as assigned by your manager or supervisor that pertain to the overall operation of the banquet department at the exact time provided
- To refresh rooms andas assigned by your manager or supervisor
- To complete all miscellaneous duties as directed by your supervisor or manager that pertain to the operation of the department
- To safely transport all equipment and store in the appropriate storage rooms
- Understand and carry out duties according to all banquet event orders and the instructions for each event
- To clean banquet rooms, vacuum, mop and dust as instructed, including mirrors, windows and ledges
- Ensure all waste products are emptied and discarded of in the correct manner
- Ensure fire exits are clean and free of obstructions
- Adhere to ALL Safe Standards, ensuring all hygiene and prevention measures are being met
- Will work weekends, holidays and shift work as scheduled
- Any other tasks as assigned
Your experience and skills include:
- Ability to focus attention on guest needs, remaining calm and courteous at all times
- Teamwork approach to all duties and helpful attitude with co-workers
- Efficient and effective approach to completing all tasks
- Fluency in English (written and verbal) a must
- Previous experience in banquets in a hotel is preferred
- Must be able to lift and transport heavy equipment
- Must be able to follow instructions and understand set up diagrams
- Excellent problem solving skills required
- Must provide a positive and professional demeanor
Physical Aspects of Position (included but not limited to):
- Constant standing and walking throughout shift
- Frequent lifting and carrying up to 50 lbs
- Constant kneeling, pushing, pulling, lifting
- Frequent ascending or descending stairs and ramps
Your team and working environment
For over 91 years, Fairmont Royal York has stood proudly as a Toronto landmark. When the hotel opened in 1929 it was the tallest building in the British Common Wealth and contained 1,048 rooms, a concert hall, library, extensive bakery, radio station and even a hospital. Today, this essential downtown landmark has completed a multi-million dollar transformation, reimagining its lobby, rooms, dining venues, event spaces, and Fairmont Gold – the property’s exclusive hotel within a hotel luxury experience. Another stunning chapter for Fairmont Royal York has begun. To learn more, click here.
Our commitment to Diversity & Inclusion:
We are an inclusive company and our ambition is to attract, recruit and promote diverse talent.
Why work for Accor?
We are far more than a worldwide leader. We welcome you as you are and you can find a job and brand that matches your personality. We support you to grow and learn every day, making sure that work brings purpose to your life, so that during your journey with us, you can continue to explore Accor’s limitless possibilities.
By joining Accor, every chapter of your story is yours to write and together we can imagine tomorrow's hospitality. Discover the life that awaits you at Accor, visit https://careers.accor.com/
Do what you love, care for the world, dare to challenge the status quo! #BELIMITLESS
Note: Must already be legally entitled to work in Canada to be considered for the position.