Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals, and branded generic medicines. Our 109,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
The key to successful treatment and full recovery is often fast, accurate diagnosis. Abbott’s life-changing tests and diagnostic tools provide insights that enable smarter, faster decisions and transform the way the world is managing health.
Our pioneering technology spans the world of healthcare operations — with medical diagnostic instruments, tests, automation and informatics solutions for hospitals, reference labs, blood centers, emergency departments, physician offices and clinics
WHAT YOU’LL DO
We have an exciting opportunity for a Senior Research Scientist within our Abbott Rapid Diagnostics business.
Under minimal supervision, the Senior Research Scientist is expected to play a key role in charting best practices for research and product development. The Senior Research Scientist will be a recognized internal expert in one or more areas of core technical importance related to Abbott’s stated areas of focus (eg. Immunoassay development, Biochemistry, Material, Chemical, or Bioengineering) as well as a global resource for Abbott. The Senior Research Scientist duties shall include mentoring other scientists, leading specific research and development projects, helping coordinate R&D functions with other functions to arrive at best practices. Target Supervisory responsibilities will include PhD level staff and some research associates.
· In collaboration with other departments, and through independent study and analysis, identify product improvements or technological advancements aligned with the company's overall business objectives, analyze the cost-benefit of those strategies, and initiate the implementation of novel research/development upon approval by senior management.
· Identify and obtain the necessary resources to accomplish the goals agreed upon.
· Act as a liaison between the company and corporate technical partners that may be established to enhance the results of the research/development projects underway.
· Initiate broad and complex experimentation including data collection, summary and thorough analysis, in support of department research projects and guidelines working through more junior level project/technical scientific leads. Compose robust experimentation strategies that maximize effective use of resources and time to deliver optimum information.
· Participate as an integral member of the scientific staff in formulating research strategy and methodology.
· Provide recommendations and observations to scientific staff and management on results of projects/tasks. Play a key role in the formulation of research strategies and tactics.
· Innovate research methods and product formulation to resolve problems and accomplish company objectives. Pro-actively recommend strategy to overcome hurdles.
· Generate oral and written reports as necessary and to summarize activities and projects. Initiate communication with related staff and functions as necessary to coordinate activities effectively.
· Contribute scientific leadership and innovation increasingly independent of external direction.
· Manage and develop PhD level scientists and also junior research associates.
· Plan, coordinate and direct the tasks of assigned staff.
· May represent department and/or company to outside organizations and companies, in conjunction with management.
· Demonstrates commitment to the development, implementation and effectiveness of Abbott Quality Management System per ISO, FDA, and other regulatory agencies.
· Understands and is aware of the quality consequences which may occur from the improper performance of their specific job; has awareness of device defects that may occur in their area of responsibility, including product design, verification and validation, manufacturing and testing activities
· Responsible for exhibiting professional behavior with both internal/external business associates that reflects positively on the company and is consistent with the company’s policies and practices; build productive internal/external working relationships
· Carries out duties in compliance with established business policies
· Other duties as assigned, according to the changing needs of the business
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE YOU’LL BRING
· PhD in Chemistry, Material science, Biochemistry or a related discipline to the above fields with a research emphasis that demonstrates an aptitude for translating laboratory data to diagnostic products and novel processes. Demonstrated scientific accomplishments through publications, development of commercialized products, participation in professional activities, associations and symposia.
· 1-2 years’ experience managing and developing staff in a related industry setting
· Minimum of 2 years of experience of product development in In Vitro Diagnostics field, including the development of enzyme-based assays, consumables, and statistical analysis
· Detail-oriented and able to work with a variety of people on multiple tasks, with effective prioritization of duties.
· Proven experience supervising scientific staff, coordinating interdepartmental efforts, generating research hypotheses, analyzing complex problems and data, and bringing products to market.
· Experience identifying and implementing new technologies for marker discovery, marker validation, product development, and product manufacture is also important.
· Strong oral and written communication skills.
· 3-5 years’ experience of product development in In Vitro Diagnostics field, including the development of enzyme-based assays, consumables, and statistical analysis.
· Results driven
WHAT WE OFFER
At Abbott, you can have a good job that can grow into a great career. We offer:
· A fast-paced work environment where your safety is our priority (Manufacturing roles only)
· Production areas that are clean, well-lit and temperature-controlled (Manufacturing roles only)
· Training and career development , with onboarding programs for new employees and tuition assistance
· Financial security through competitive compensation, incentives and retirement plans
· Health care and well-being programs including medical, dental, vision, wellness and occupational health programs
· Paid time off
· 401(k) retirement savings with a generous company match
· The stability of a company with a record of strong financial performance and history of being actively involved in local communities
Learn more about our benefits that add real value to your life to help you live fully: http://www.abbottbenefits.com/pages/candidate.aspx
Follow your career aspirations to Abbott for diverse opportunities with a company that provides the growth and strength to build your future. Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to employee diversity.
Connect with us at www.abbott.com , on Facebook at www.facebook.com/Abbott and on Twitter @AbbottNews and @AbbottGlobal.
Research and Discovery
ARDx Abbott Rapid Diagnostics
United States > San Diego : 9975 Summers Ridge Road
SIGNIFICANT WORK ACTIVITIES:
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities/Women/Individuals with Disabilities/Protected Veterans.
EEO is the Law link - English: http://webstorage.abbott.com/common/External/EEO_English.pdf
EEO is the Law link - Espanol: http://webstorage.abbott.com/common/External/EEO_Spanish.pdf