Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals, and branded generic medicines. Our 109,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
About Abbott Diagnostics
Diagnostic testing is a compass, providing information that helps in the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of a range of health conditions.
Abbott’s life-changing tests and diagnostic tools give you accurate, timely information to better manage your health. We’re empowering smarter medical and economic decision making to help transform the way people manage their health at all stages of life. Every day, more than 10 million tests are run on Abbott’s diagnostics instruments, providing lab results for millions of people.
Our location in Abbott Park (Lake County), IL currently has an opportunity for a Scientist who will be part of
Abbott’s Virus Discovery Program. This program seeks to anticipate the next epidemic and quickly fill the need for accurate diagnosis. Using a metagenomics approach, combining unbiased next-generation sequencing with robust bioinformatic pipelines, we can catalog all known pathogens (viruses, bacteria, fungi, and parasites) in a specimen and predict the presence of highly divergent viruses for both acute and chronic illnesses that are otherwise undetectable with conventional molecular methods
What You’ll Do
· Responsible for culturing viruses and executing experiments in a BSL-3 facility.
· Evaluates clinical specimens with illnesses of unknown origin.
· Conducts sequence analysis to identify known pathogens and assemble the sequence of novel agents.
· Designs technology and engineering developments in a team environment.
· Designs and conducts/supervises experiments towards technology and engineering developments.
· Conceptualizes new devices using knowledge of materials and design. Specifies and orders material and equipment for prototype design and/or experiments.
· Conducts empirical and experimental analysis. Organizes and analyzes data from experiments or design builds and writes reports on results.
· Documents work suitable for technical papers and patents.
· Conducts research and prepares research tasks.
· Analyzes failures and failure modes.
· Participates in project design reviews and project planning. Tracks performance against plan. Develops plan in conjunction with technical supervisor.
· Complies with U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulations, other regulatory requirements, Company policies, operating procedures, processes, and task assignments. Maintains positive and cooperative communications and collaboration with all levels of employees, customers, contractors, and vendors.
Education And Experience You’ll Bring
· Bachelor's or Master's degree in biological science field preferred.
· Strong experience in molecular biology techniques and interest in infectious diseases is preferred
· Ideal candidate will have experience with next generation sequencing and cell culture techniques.
· B.S. plus 4 years minimum related lab/industrial experience or M.S. with 2 years minimum relevant experience or Ph.D. in a life or physical science.
· Knowledge of analytical instruments assigned by supervisor.
· Basic Computer skills.
WHAT WE OFFER
At Abbott, you can have a good job that can grow into a great career. We offer:
· Training and career development , with onboarding programs for new employees and tuition assistance
· Financial security through competitive compensation, incentives and retirement plans
· Health care and well-being programs including medical, dental, vision, wellness and occupational health programs
· Paid time off
· 401(k) retirement savings with a generous company match
· The stability of a company with a record of strong financial performance and history of being actively involved in local communities
Learn more about our benefits that add real value to your life to help you live fully: www.abbottbenefits.com
Follow your career aspirations to Abbott for diverse opportunities with a company that provides the growth and strength to build your future. Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to employee diversity.
Connect with us at www.abbott.com , on Facebook at www.facebook.com/Abbott and on Twitter @AbbottNews and @AbbottGlobal.
United States > Abbott Park : AP20 Floor-1
SIGNIFICANT WORK ACTIVITIES:
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day), Keyboard use (greater or equal to 50% of the workday)
Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities/Women/Individuals with Disabilities/Protected Veterans.
EEO is the Law link - English: http://webstorage.abbott.com/common/External/EEO_English.pdf
EEO is the Law link - Espanol: http://webstorage.abbott.com/common/External/EEO_Spanish.pdf