Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals, and branded generic medicines. Our 109,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
At Abbott, we are committed to helping people live your best possible life through the power of health. For more than 130 years, we have brought new products and technologies to the world – in nutrition, diagnostics, medical devices and branded generic pharmaceuticals. These products create more possibilities for people at all stages of life. Today, over 109,000 of us are working to help people live not just longer, but better in the more than 150 countries we serve.
Primary Job Scope:
Abbott is currently seeking a corporate/transactional attorney with law firm and/or in-house experience to act as a member of the commercial legal team supporting vendor contract negotiations and drafting and vendor management for Abbott’s Global Procurement and IT functions. The primary scope of the role is for IT contracts, but the individual may be asked to assist with other vendor contracts for purchasing advertising/marketing; professional services/consulting; travel; facilities; construction; engineering; utilities; hedging; freight, distribution and logistics; packaging; and product components.
Who We Are : We are legal experts who support and help advance the interests of Abbott’s global businesses. As a part of the Abbott Legal Division, we have an opportunity to work for a life-changing medical technology company. We provide thorough and reasoned advice and engage as business leaders to solve problems for the company as well as the customers and patients we serve.
What We Offer : With Abbott’s proud heritage of developing and delivering life-changing technology and products, and commitment to doing business the right way, a position in Abbott Legal provides an opportunity to engage in meaningful and challenging work on a global scale. As our company grows and evolves, so can our roles and experiences.
How We Work : We expect and encourage our employees to be holistic thinkers and to collaborate, so we can get to the best solutions. We value diversity of backgrounds and experiences. We expect our team members to consider both internal and external factors and impact when providing advice and making decisions. We strive to find creative ways to address business challenges and are committed to leading and shaping the environment in which Abbott operates.
Counsel, Corporate Legal – Global Procurement Technology Transactions:
· Is located at Abbott’s headquarters in Abbott Park, Illinois
· Reports to Sr. Counsel within the Corporate Legal Department
· Counsel will not have direct managerial responsibilities, but will coach and direct assigned support staff (administrative assistants, paralegals) in their responsibilities
· The successful candidate must possess strong knowledge of corporate and commercial/transactional law, information technology, digital commerce and privacy law, and demonstrated expertise in drafting and negotiating complex commercial agreements and advising and counseling clients on a range of business transactions and operational matters. Core job responsibilities include:
· Drafting, negotiating and reviewing a wide range of vendor agreements, with a expertise in IT agreements, including SaaS, software license and maintenance, consulting/software development services, and hardware purchase/lease agreements;
· Advising on IT contracting and associated legal issues related to licensing metrics, software audits, open source software, data privacy and security, including cross-border transfers of data;
· Negotiating and advising on managed services/outsourcing agreements;
· Advising and ensuring that internal clients receive sound, practical and timely legal advice on a wide variety of legal matters related to operation of a commercial business that markets to health care professionals, retailers and consumers;
· Resolving legal issues using negotiation skills and legal expertise, including pre-litigation dispute resolution and settlements;
· Assisting in the creation of new template agreements, playbooks and training to support efficient contracting processes within the Legal Division and for the Global Procurement and IT functions;
· Conducting training to Global Procurement and Abbott Legal Division attorneys and paralegals on key purchasing and IT contracting negotiation points and legal topics;
· Developing knowledge of Abbott’s businesses, products and client areas supported;
· Maintaining familiarity with laws that affect client areas to issue spot and provide basic counseling;
· Representing Abbott externally to suppliers and customers; and
· Helping select and/or directing the work of outside counsel, including defining project objectives, managing projects, and monitoring outside counsel operations within a budget.
Critical Success Factors
· Good Judgment: The successful candidate will demonstrate expertise and sound judgment, understand how assigned responsibilities support Abbott’s business objectives, and be able to provide practical, risk-balanced advice based upon a thorough understanding of the scope of an issue, taking full advantage of internal networks and external intelligence.
· Collaboration: The successful candidate will have a firm understanding of available legal, functional, and business resources and ability to integrate information from a number of sources to achieve business results, including breaking down boundaries to create alignment as necessary, in a complex, global, matrixed environment.
· Anticipation: The successful candidate will be a holistic, big picture thinker, who anticipates changes in law, enforcement, and/or business objectives and adapts approach as necessary to manage risks effectively and mitigate issues before they arise.
· Influencing Skills: The successful candidate will build strong relationships with business partners and stakeholders and leverage relationships to tactfully influence and gain their support to drive desired outcomes. They will represent Abbott externally to vendors, competitors and government bodies and trade associations, and will resolve legal issues using negotiation skills and legal expertise/engage in external influencing efforts.
· Candidates must possess a Juris Doctor degree from an accredited law school, demonstrate a strong academic background, be admitted to a U.S. state bar and in good standing, and have, or be able to obtain, licensure to practice law in Illinois.
· Minimum of 3+ years of experience practicing corporate/commercial law in a large law firm, preferably focused on technology transactions.
· Strong interest in new and emerging technology solutions and applications, and their impact on intellectual property and commercial law.
· In-house experience at major corporation, health care industry experience, and prior privacy or cybersecurity experience are a plus.
· Demonstrated expertise in providing legal counsel on contract negotiation for procurement matters.
· Must have ability to handle multiple projects in fast-paced environment and exercise sound commercial and legal judgment.
· Must be able to independently handle complex matters with moderate supervision and understand which issues to elevate to senior management and appropriate timing for doing so.
· In addition to top-notch legal skills and a strong ethical center, must have excellent interpersonal, strategic thinking, communication and organizational skills.
Operations & Business Support
GENC General Counsel
United States > Abbott Park : AP06D Floor-2
SIGNIFICANT WORK ACTIVITIES:
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day), Keyboard use (greater or equal to 50% of the workday)
Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities/Women/Individuals with Disabilities/Protected Veterans.
EEO is the Law link - English: http://webstorage.abbott.com/common/External/EEO_English.pdf
EEO is the Law link - Espanol: http://webstorage.abbott.com/common/External/EEO_Spanish.pdf