Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals, and branded generic medicines. Our 109,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
Nourish the world and your career as part of the Nutrition team at Abbott.
Our Nutrition business develops science-based nutrition products for people of all ages, from helping babies and children grow, to keeping adult bodies strong and active. Millions of people around the world count on our leading brands – including Similac®, PediaSure®, Pedialyte®, Ensure®, Glucerna® and ZonePerfect® – to help get the nutrients they need to live their healthiest life.
What you will do as an Associate Engineer- Technical Writing Focus:
An engineering professional who applies scientific knowledge, engineering knowledge, mathematics, and ingenuity to complete basic engineering assignments related to a specific technical field or discipline. Assists in the writing development of procedures and standards. Coordinates with technical support personnel to conduct prototype or experimental runs of products or processes. Directs the efforts of others such as technicians and outside resources. Performs tasks such as writing Requests for Capital Expenditures (RCEs), safety/quality checklists, scope documents, etc. Assists in the development and execution of writing validation protocols.
· PROJECT MANAGEMENT: Plans and conducts small-sized assigned projects within engineering specialty requiring conventional types of plans, investigations, and/or equipment. Implements plans. Initiates execution of own work plan. Monitors executions for adherence to plan, e.g. documents work status and reports to management with appropriate frequency. Facilitates the definition of a project scope with clients. Converts goals to tasks and steps. Within structure, plans own work, manages several, often concurrent, tasks to accomplish assigned tasks to meet or exceed expectations (cost, quality, time). Participates in basic economic analysis and feasibility studies related to project alternatives under guidance. Jointly responsible for achieving the project's financial targets in support of business objectives.
· TECHNICAL/DESIGN: Keeps aware of the changing technical and competitive environment as it relates to the business. Establishes a means of keeping abreast with technology on own engineering area and sharing with co-workers, e.g. stays current in product/process innovations in areas of expertise. Participates and/or assists other engineers in the design of products/processes/equipment/systems/facilities by applying standard engineering theories, concepts, and techniques within the discipline. Investigates, conducts tests or experiments, gathers data, and performs preliminary analysis. Reports findings. Prepares and communicates recommendations and respective action plans.
· PROBLEM SOLVING/INNOVATION: Creates/modifies designs for basic problems. Reviews existing layouts and standards and creates a proposed design, e.g. uses appropriate tools to complete design drawing/layout. designs a simple piece of equipment or system. Modifies an existing design to meet a new need. Interprets problems/recommends solutions. Applies standard engineering principles and methodologies to interpret, draw conclusions, and recommend options for defined problems. Considers a broad range of factors, e.g. qualifies costs and benefits in assigned projects. assures conformance to regulatory. Improves methods/designs/processes. Recognizes and implements good ideas/innovations/costs reductions. consistently generates/adopts original solutions to problems and reduces them to practices, e.g. implements better methods to reduce component costs. creatively applies others' design ideas.
· ORGANIZATIONAL INTERFACE: Assists in the training of personnel required for the operation of facilities/equipment. Establishes contacts with immediate supervisor, project leaders, and other professionals in the section or group. Prepares written communication. Conveys information effectively through formal and informal documents with team members, designers, technicians, and other technical personnel, both internal and external to Abbott, using appropriate communication protocols, e.g. develops proposals. Conducts reviews. Provides audience targeted content. Prepares project summaries and design documentation. Obtains approval to proceed with proposed action plans. Establishes networks. Follows through on project goals. Contributes willingly and incorporates the ideas of others. Shares resources, knowledge, and accountability to benefit the objectives of the business, e.g. participates in team meetings. Understands own limitations. Builds relationships, initiates and cultivates open, honest relationships with colleagues, customers, contractors, and vendors by establishing rapport, developing an understanding of others' needs, promoting common goals, and following through on commitments, e.g. offers assistance. Interacts effectively with stakeholders at appropriate levels of the organization. Identifies ways to increase customer satisfaction. Documents, agreements and commitments, e.g. establishes clear expectations at the start of a project regarding costs, quality, and timelines. Acts proactively to correct situations. Keeps direct customers informed throughout the project.
· COMPLIANCE: Complies with all regulations and standards for quality, Environment, Health, Safety and Energy (EHS&E) Global Policies, Abbott Engineering Standards, and other governance areas as applicable. Ensures quality and effectiveness of assigned tasks. Has awareness of the potential consequences (defects and failure modes) of design changes to established processes. Identifies areas of risk with respect to compliance.
Education and Experience You'll Bring:
· Bachelors Degree in Engineering, science, or closely related discipline is desired, or equivalent technical experience plus demonstrated competence.
· Entry level. No experience to two-years experience is typical for this position. Previous internships assignment(s) required if no out of school experience
· Should be able to quickly gain knowledge, understanding, or skill, and willingly absorb and comprehend Abbott processes, policies, and methods.
· Possesses good human relation skills in both implementing and coordinating efforts involved across several disciplines.
· Interacts well with diverse groups within engineering and maintains strong working relationship with internal and external collaborators.
· Listens to and understands others' points of view and articulates tactfully and respectfully one's own perspective orally, in writing, and in presentations.
· Works well with other engineers in a collaborative, fast-paced goal-driven environment.
· Possesses interpersonal skills to negotiate and reconcile differences.
· Previous experience with technical writing protocols/procedures, validation documents, CAPAs or quality documents
WHAT WE OFFER
At Abbott, you can have a good job that can grow into a great career. We offer:
· A fast-paced work environment where your safety is our priority
· Production areas that are clean, well-lit and temperature-controlled
· Training and career development , with onboarding programs for new employees and tuition assistance
· Financial security through competitive compensation, incentives and retirement plans
· Health care and well-being programs including medical, dental, vision, wellness and occupational health programs
· Paid time off
· 401(k) retirement savings with a generous company match
· The stability of a company with a record of strong financial performance and history of being actively involved in local communities
Learn more about our benefits that add real value to your life to help you live fully: www.abbottbenefits.com
Follow your career aspirations to Abbott for diverse opportunities with a company that provides the growth and strength to build your future. Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to employee diversity.
Connect with us at www.abbott.com , on Facebook at www.facebook.com/Abbott and on Twitter @AbbottNews and @AbbottGlobal.
ANSC Nutrition Supply Chain
United States > Columbus : Columbus Plant
SIGNIFICANT WORK ACTIVITIES:
Awkward/forceful/repetitive (arms above shoulder, bent wrists), Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day), Continuous standing for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities/Women/Individuals with Disabilities/Protected Veterans.
EEO is the Law link - English: http://webstorage.abbott.com/common/External/EEO_English.pdf
EEO is the Law link - Espanol: http://webstorage.abbott.com/common/External/EEO_Spanish.pdf