Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals, and branded generic medicines. Our 109,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
Nourish the world and your career as part of the Nutrition team at Abbott.
Our Nutrition business develops science-based nutrition products for people of all ages, from helping babies and children grow, to keeping adult bodies strong and active. Millions of people around the world count on our leading brands – including Similac®, PediaSure®, Pedialyte®, Ensure®, Glucerna® and ZonePerfect® – to help get the nutrients they need to live their healthiest life.
Our location in Columbus, OH currently has an opportunity for an Associate Controls Engineer. This site is Abbott’s oldest nutrition manufacturing plant in the world. Working here, you’ll feel part of a family – a family of 400 that works together to help nourish the world.
What you'll do as an Associate Controls Engineer:
Implement and maintains plant equipment, systems and other fixed assets to a high standard of safety, quality, and productivity while maintaining compliance with all applicable regulatory requirements.
Provide electrical, controls system, software, and instrument support to all aspects of the operation.
Perform small projects and troubleshoot line control issues on shift with the maintenance team. They will implement hardware upgrades, repairs, or logic changes to drive line improvement in quality, safety, and productivity.
Provide technical support to the Columbus plant, engineering and maintenance teams. provide leadership with maintenance team in the areas electrical hardware, controls systems, software, coding equipment, and industrial inspection equipment, to support processing and packaging asset performance.
Work with engineering and maintenance to implement and adhere to Columbus plant or division engineering and programming standards for equipment modifications and upgrades.
Monitor production data to determine areas of improvement and react to unforeseen production/manufacturing issues.
Provide technical training to plant personnel including engineering, equipment operators, electricians, instrument technicians, and maintenance as needed. Create and execute validation activities according to plant/division policy.
Plans and conducts small projects within the controls engineering function.
Gather data to aid in detailed planning/monitoring of equipment performance prior to and after project implementation, perform project reviews within Maintenance/Engineering team, implementation, validation, and release to production.
Complete electrical, controls, and software related engineering activities incorporating best available technologies while adhering to Abbott policies, regulatory requirements, GMP standards, Abbott Engineering Standards, and Environmental, Health / Safety regulations.
Review equipment/process specifications, drawings, and software as required and ensure that existing documentation is accurate and appropriate.
Research, recommend, implement, and qualify replacement parts for discontinued/obsolete components, equipment, and software.
Education and Experience, you'll bring:
· B.S. in Engineering with an emphasis on electronics, controls systems, and software.
· Approximately 2 years experience in engineering/ controls or advanced education to achieve level of skill.
· Practical experience in: controls systems, PLC / servo programming, vision systems, process instrumentation, printing/coding equipment, variable speed drives, and electrical devices.
· Good communication skills, both written and verbal required.
· Possesses a working technical knowledge and application of concepts, practices, and procedures. Exercises judgment within defined procedures and practices to determine appropriate action.
Strong leadership skills required.
Interacts well with diverse operations/maintenance/engineering groups.
Maintains strong working relationships with internal customers in a collaborative, fast-paced, goal-driven environment. Listens to and understands others’ points of view; possesses interpersonal skills to negotiate and reconcile differences.
· Interfaces with production team members, department managers, and Engineering / QA functions.
· Leads small projects / supports larger programs to successful completion. Responsible for completing projects tasks within time constraints.
· Work is reviewed for overall accuracy, completeness, soundness of technical judgment.
· Coordinates efforts with technical and support staff. Guides the efforts of technicians and outside personnel.
· Degree in Electrical Engineering or Computer Engineering preferred.
· Allen Bradley Controls Hardware and communication protocol experience desired
· Work experience in the food or any high-speed packaging/manufacturing facility under FDA regulation preferred.
WHAT WE OFFER
At Abbott, you can have a good job that can grow into a great career. We offer:
· A fast-paced work environment where your safety is our priority
· Production areas that are clean, well-lit and temperature-controlled
· Training and career development , with onboarding programs for new employees and tuition assistance
· Financial security through competitive compensation, incentives and retirement plans
· Health care and well-being programs including medical, dental, vision, wellness and occupational health programs
· Paid time off
· 401(k) retirement savings with a generous company match
· The stability of a company with a record of strong financial performance and history of being actively involved in local communities
· Learn more about our benefits that add real value to your life to help you live fully: www.abbottbenefits.com
Follow your career aspirations to Abbott for diverse opportunities with a company that provides the growth and strength to build your future. Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to employee diversity.
Connect with us at www.abbott.com , on Facebook at www.facebook.com/Abbott and on Twitter @AbbottNews and @AbbottGlobal.
ANSC Nutrition Supply Chain
United States > Columbus : Columbus Plant
SIGNIFICANT WORK ACTIVITIES:
Continuous walking for prolonged periods (more than 2 hours at a time in an 8 hour day)
Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities/Women/Individuals with Disabilities/Protected Veterans.
EEO is the Law link - English: http://webstorage.abbott.com/common/External/EEO_English.pdf
EEO is the Law link - Espanol: http://webstorage.abbott.com/common/External/EEO_Spanish.pdf