Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals, and branded generic medicines. Our 109,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
Nourish the world and your career as part of the Nutrition team at Abbott.
Our Nutrition business develops science-based nutrition products for people of all ages, from helping babies and children grow, to keeping adult bodies strong and active. Millions of people around the world count on our leading brands – including Similac®, PediaSure®, Pedialyte®, Ensure®, Glucerna® and ZonePerfect® – to help get the nutrients they need to live their healthiest life.
Our location in Altavista VA currently has an opportunity for an Assistant Chemist III . This site is Abbott’s largest Nutrition manufacturing plant in the world. But working here, you’ll feel part of a family – a family of 650+ that works together to help nourish the world.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
· Observe all safety rules and regulations. Report incidents, near-misses, and chemical spills in the proper manner to supervisor or manager. Wear all required personal protective equipment, participate in the Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) programs, and forward any opportunities for improvement.
· Assist other chemists to troubleshoot and maintain analytical equipment and test methods.
· Train new chemists on all laboratory operations including methods, procedures, documentation, maintenance and safety, maintaining the effectiveness of the laboratory, and ensure their work and the work of the people they have trained follows plant, divisional, corporate, local, state, and federal regulatory requirements.
· Perform assays in accordance with required methods; ensure test results meet specification limits and that appropriate quality actions are taken to achieve acceptable product status.
· Generate work orders, set batch yields, optimize and release product to the filling production department.
· Recognize and report method procedure problems and out-of-specification conditions.
· Identify and correct minor problems concerning test results and out-of-specification conditions using standard and advanced batch corrections; initiate investigations into root cause and quality concerns.
· Review procedures, methods, and work orders; recognize threats to product quality.
· Ensure compliance with Good Manufacturing Practices (GMPs) and internal/external policies, procedures, guidelines, and regulations.
· Direct shift’s daily work assignments.
· Identify and own area of expertise in lab improvement and drive goals efficiently.
You’ll be accountable for meeting our compliance standards including FDA, OSHA and Abbott policies and procedures.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE, YOU’LL BRING
· High School diploma or equivalent, plus 1 year of appropriate college science related studies and 1 year of college mathematics (algebra, geometry, or calculus), or an equivalent combination of education and work experience.
· Some knowledge of applicable regulatory standards and requirements for infant formula and nutritionals.
· Ability to follow verbal and written instructions, prepare simple reports, read and record gauge and display readings and use knowledge of chemistry acquired through formal education with moderate assistance from supervision.
· Mathematics knowledge to include: addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, decimals, fractions, proportions, and basic keyboard skills; computer skills and statistical comprehension is desirable.
· Physical requirements for lifting and pushing 20-25 lbs. in addition to normal laboratory work.
· Ability to communicate well with other chemists, operators, and management with varying levels of education and experience.
· Science-related Bachelor's degree preferred, with 1 year of appropriate college lab studies and 1 year of college mathematics (algebra, geometry, or calculus).
· Minimum 3 years of laboratory experience at an Abbott Laboratories facility preferred.
WHAT WE OFFER
At Abbott, you can have a good job that can grow into a great career. We offer:
· A fast-paced work environment where your safety is our priority
· Production areas that are clean, well-lit and temperature-controlled
· Training and career development , with onboarding programs for new employees and tuition assistance
· Financial security through competitive compensation, incentives and retirement plans
· Health care and well-being programs including medical, dental, vision, wellness and occupational health programs
· Paid time off
· 401(k) retirement savings with a generous company match
· The stability of a company with a record of strong financial performance and history of being actively involved in local communities
Learn more about our benefits that add real value to your life to help you live fully: www.abbottbenefits.com
Follow your career aspirations to Abbott for diverse opportunities with a company that provides the growth and strength to build your future. Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to employee diversity.
Connect with us at www.abbott.com , on Facebook at www.facebook.com/Abbott and on Twitter @AbbottNews and @AbbottGlobal.
ANSC Nutrition Supply Chain
United States > Altavista : Building 1
SIGNIFICANT WORK ACTIVITIES:
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day), Keyboard use (greater or equal to 50% of the workday)
Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities/Women/Individuals with Disabilities/Protected Veterans.
EEO is the Law link - English: http://webstorage.abbott.com/common/External/EEO_English.pdf
EEO is the Law link - Espanol: http://webstorage.abbott.com/common/External/EEO_Spanish.pdf