Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals, and branded generic medicines. Our 109,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
Nourish the world and your career as part of the Nutrition team at Abbott.
Our Nutrition business develops science-based nutrition products for people of all ages, from helping babies and children grow, to keeping adult bodies strong and active. Millions of people around the world count on our leading brands – including Similac®, PediaSure®, Pedialyte®, Ensure®, Glucerna® and ZonePerfect® – to help get the nutrients they need to live their healthiest life.
Our location in Altavista VA currently has an opportunity for an Assistant Chemist I . This site is Abbott’s largest Nutrition manufacturing plant in the world. But working here, you’ll feel part of a family – a family of 650+ that works together to help nourish the world.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
· Conduct raw ingredient analysis including: Protein Analysis, Chloride Analysis for Specified Minerals, simple titrations, organoleptic testing, etc.
· Conduct in-process and finished product testing including: Vitamins, Protein, Minerals, Fat, Total Solids, Iodide, Chloride, Vitamin C, Free Choline, Amino Acids, Acek/Sucralose, Fatty Acids, etc.
· Conduct pH adjustments and prepares/sterilizes/evaluates test and check cans where needed. Performs calculations for Potassium Hydroxide, Citric acid, Final Water additions, and physical stability testing such as pH, Viscosity, Grain, Color, and Sensory Evaluations.
· Perform assays in strict accordance with required methods and assuring test results meet specification limits. As required, data must be entered into a Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS). Testing must be coordinated with processing stages and filing requirements to ensure minimum downtime is incurred during processing and filling operations. Responsibilities include batch corrections, optimizations, setting batch yields, and releasing product to the filling lines.
· Conduct special testing required under Deviation, any testing under certification or validation protocols, and assists with investigations of testing issues as required under the Retest Policy.
· Effectively communicate with other analysts, operators, and management with varying levels of education and experience.
You’ll be accountable for meeting our compliance standards including FDA, OSHA and Abbott policies and procedures.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE, YOU’LL BRING
· High school diploma (or equivalent) plus 1 year of college chemistry.
· Ability to follow verbal instructions, recognize signs, follow written directions, prepare simple reports, read and record gauge and display readings and use their knowledge of chemistry acquired through formal education with moderate assistance from supervisor.
· Mathematics knowledge would include addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, decimals, fractions, proportions, and basic keyboard skills, computer skills and statistical comprehension is desirable. Physical requirements for lifting and pushing 20-25 lbs. in addition to normal laboratory work.
· High level of flexibility, adaptability and personal accountability due to the type and timing of the work involved.
WHAT WE OFFER
At Abbott, you can have a good job that can grow into a great career. We offer:
· A fast-paced work environment where your safety is our priority
· Production areas that are clean, well-lit and temperature-controlled
· Training and career development , with onboarding programs for new employees and tuition assistance
· Financial security through competitive compensation, incentives and retirement plans
· Health care and well-being programs including medical, dental, vision, wellness and occupational health programs
· Paid time off
· 401(k) retirement savings with a generous company match
· The stability of a company with a record of strong financial performance and history of being actively involved in local communities
Learn more about our benefits that add real value to your life to help you live fully: www.abbottbenefits.com
Follow your career aspirations to Abbott for diverse opportunities with a company that provides the growth and strength to build your future. Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to employee diversity.
Connect with us at www.abbott.com , on Facebook at www.facebook.com/Abbott and on Twitter @AbbottNews and @AbbottGlobal.
ANSC Nutrition Supply Chain
United States > Altavista : Building 1
SIGNIFICANT WORK ACTIVITIES:
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities/Women/Individuals with Disabilities/Protected Veterans.
EEO is the Law link - English: http://webstorage.abbott.com/common/External/EEO_English.pdf
EEO is the Law link - Espanol: http://webstorage.abbott.com/common/External/EEO_Spanish.pdf